Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello out there. I just acquired a .357 Python from my future brother-in-law and instead of selling it, I am looking to fix it up and add it to my collection. I am limited on my knowledge of revolvers in general and even more so with something like a Python. I was able to remove 90% of the rust using only solvent, oils, and a light steel wool. As far as I can tell and according to a few of the gunsmiths I have contacted the only pieces missing are the ejector rod and and the ratchet. If anyone has any information on how to make my pursuit of restoring this beautiful piece of work easier I would greatly appreciate it and am eager to hearing from you.

Semper Fidelis,

Munoz, Ruben D.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I agree, send it to Colt.
Don't let your backyard gunsmith fix it.
It will just end up costing you more money when you send it back to Colt after the local guy screws it up.
As a bonus, Colt will check everything including the timing.
When you get it back it will be right.
They are not the fastest in getting stuff done, but it will be right.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Fitting a new ratchet is a Colt job for sure. As stated above all the other benefits of Colt getting their hands on it will be worth it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you gentlemen very much. That was going to be my original plan but was looking for people who knew a little more than I did on the topic. What about refinishing the weapon. I do not want it to lose value so i'm not sure which way to go on that. Also is there anyway that I can find the year this revolver was made using the serial number? I searched online but my limited knowledge on the subject and what I could find didn't match up.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,871 Posts
V728XX was made in 1979.
The numbers that year started at V36737. 1980 started at V88374.

Right now Colt is not taking any refinish work until August due to work load.
Whether to have Colt refinish it depends on how bad the original finish is, and on whether you'd just like it to look like a brand new gun.
How much if any you'd lose on value with a refinish also depends on how bad the finish is.
This is all a personal decision.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
If it was rusty & you took steel wool to it, a COLT refinish shouldn't hurt value, necessarily.
In many cases a refinish does reduce value, but (can't tell well enough in your photos) you appear to have a "shooter" grade gun now, and a COLT (emphasis on COLT) refinish should leave it looking new.
A re-blue by a local guy won't be the equal of what COLT can do with it.

If you plan to shoot it much after getting the mechanicals up to speed, you may not want to bother refinishing.
If you do refinish, you may not want to shoot it much.

If Proofhouse.com doesn't show your serial, Colt can give you a year on it.
Denis

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Again thank you gentlemen very much as this information is much appreciated. I'm now a disabled vet so I have plenty of time to learn more things about this revolver as all I have is law school to look ahead to. I do plan on shooting this revolver a few times but not in excess as I do with my other firearms. I think i'm just going to send it into colt later this year that way I know they themselves are handling the piece. I'll try and repost more pictures so you can see what the revolver looks like from every angle. I look forward to hearing from you all with any advice and is a make progress on this revolver.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,871 Posts
It'll come back looking like a brand new gun, it'll be thoroughly checked out mechanically and any problems corrected to factory original specs, and a genuine Colt factory re-finish will not affect value like a non-factory refinish would.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts