Colt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations on who could rechamber a cylinder from 44 Special to 44-40 and any idea on what it might cost? Thanks!

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
Can't help you with your question...but it does beg the question of why? The .44 Special is far more available and at least as good a round. But...just because you want to is a valid answer.

Reactions: smkummer

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Any well-known gunsmith could do it, but you might be better served by seeking a .44-40 cylinder with patience. Here is an online listing of certified gunsmiths. After that, it's just a few calls or emails.

Reactions: Southgate

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Unless I'm reading wrong, you could go from 44-40 to 44 special, but not the other way because the neck diameters are .443 for the 44-40 and .457 for the 44 special. I sent a gun back to Colt's and had it changed from 44-40 to 45 Colt simply bought a new cylinder and barrel, I'd guess their custom shop still does that kind of work. Others will know.

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Not to derail too badly, but I'm waiting for Charter Arms to make a .44-40 Bulldog "Pocket Army."

Reactions: saintclair

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trying to find a USFA cylinder in 44-40 is going to be a real task. I have enough revolvers in 44 Special but I'd like another in 44-40 and rechambering a 44 cylinder is the easiest way to get there. I do have an extra 44 Special cylinder. I've tried a WTB ad for a complete revolver with no luck. I was hoping that someone would recommend a gunsmith that they've used that could do the job.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Trying to find a USFA cylinder in 44-40 is going to be a real task. I have enough revolvers in 44 Special but I'd like another in 44-40 and rechambering a 44 cylinder is the easiest way to get there. I do have an extra 44 Special cylinder. I've tried a WTB ad for a complete revolver with no luck. I was hoping that someone would recommend a gunsmith that they've used that could do the job.
You can't rechamber a 44spl cylinder to 44wcf just like fast enough said.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You can't rechamber a 44spl cylinder to 44wcf just like fast enough said.
You're right! I just checked the measurements between the two and that won't work. It won't work either way from what I measured. I guess I'm stuck looking for a 44-40 cylinder or another revolver. Although I do have a 41Colt cylinder that would work so if anyone has a gunsmith that they could recommend, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Unless I'm reading wrong, you could go from 44-40 to 44 special, but not the other way because the neck diameters are .443 for the 44-40 and .457 for the 44 special. I sent a gun back to Colt's and had it changed from 44-40 to 45 Colt simply bought a new cylinder and barrel, I'd guess their custom shop still does that kind of work. Others will know.
I don't think you could go from 44-40 to 44 special. The 44-40 has a wider body below the bottleneck than the 44 spl, and it is also a lot longer.

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
"Old" .44-40 bore was .427, but decades ago they standardized it at .4295 like the other 44s. Therefore, if pressures are OK for a given gun, any .44-40 round is safe to shoot in a .44 Special barrel.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Hamilton Bowen has done a couple cylinders for me. 32-20 or 38 Spl Colt Cylinders to .45. It was about $250. Work is immaculate.

I belive Lever Action Bill (Forum Member) also offers that service.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going to just buy a new cylinder from VTI and have a dual cylinder setup. I appreciate your suggestion Cosmo, thanks!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have a SAA that was a .357 commemorative. I had it rebored to 44-40 a while back and the barrel changed to one that was roll marked .44 Special. Recently, I obtained a 2nd gen .44 Spl and was able to pretty much drop it in. I've tested it and it works fine. One gun, two cartridges.

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
Good call BAR. FWI, the ratchets may not work "as is" between a USFA and Uberti without a little work. Which is why I suggested Alan. But the cylinders are the same size and the ratches are dang close. If they don't work right off after fitting for head space and cylinder gap than can be made to work easy enough.

Best case scenario is the Uberti part drops in and you are good to go. Worse case scenario is the new cylinder and your bushing takes a little fitting.

I can't remember the last time I did fit up a pair of cylinders on a USFA or Uberti combo myself so I grabbed a Uberti I had sitting here, and a spare, prefit USFA cylinder. Not expecting much I pulled the original Uberti cylinder and put the USFA cylinder in the gun. Much to my surprise, it was all muy bueno, from the get go (y) Should work in reverse order as well.

If you are handy with a hand file, and can fit a bushing yourself, the ratchet/headspace is no more work. Good luck!

If only they were the same caliber, I'd likely shoot it this way :rolleyes: 7.5", 32-20 Uberti and a USA made (but one might wonder if that were actually true) USFA cylinder in 45 Colt. No bueno!

Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

1 - 17 of 17 Posts