Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I bought at auction a nice Colt .45 ACP National Match from the late 1960's. It is a pretty accurate gun and after shooting it awhile it became obvious that the pistol likes the Winchester-Western Super X Super Match 185 grain FMC (clean cutting) match load. When I take a 6 o'clock hold on the target, it puts that load right in the black. (No surprise, right?) Problem is, I am running way low on my supply of that load, as I've been buying catch-as-catch can at local gun shows. That particular load apparently is no longer offered by Winchester; at least I haven't found it. And sure, I can buy Federal Gold Medal---at $40-$45/box plus shipping, or ASYM from Brownell's. But I like that original W-W load. Can anyone point me to a source for that load, or, a recipe which duplicates the ballistics of the X45AWCP original load?...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Lucky Gunner has the Federal 185 grain ammunition for under $29 a box. If you Google 185 grain 45 match load, there is a Shooting Times article with loads if you want to roll your own.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the information, I'd love to find some more of the Winchester factory Super Match Super X too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
200 gr Meister SWC , 4.1 gr bullseye, WW or Starline cases, Fed 150 primers, load to a 1.250' coal, taper crimp to .473. . Shoots like sin, functions flawlessly if gun is good. I have shot 98's @ 50 yard slow fire , cheap to boot.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
200 gr Meister SWC , 4.1 gr bullseye, WW or Starline cases, Fed 150 primers, load to a 1.250' coal, taper crimp to .473. . Shoots like sin, functions flawlessly if gun is good. I have shot 98's @ 50 yard slow fire , cheap to boot.
What weight recoil and main spring ?
Vic

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't know; it's a 1968 Colt National Match, stock as far as I know. It ejects the Federal 185 gr. Gold Medal,the Winchester 185 gr. Super Match and the 185 gr. ASYM match with no problems

1 - 10 of 10 Posts