Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been reading that the bolt on a 6450 travels too far rearward and on it's forward motion slams into the bolt stop on the last round. This can theoretically cause breakage of the stop.

I also hear that if you put a spacer of about .775 inches, you limit the rearward movement of the bolt. This causes less forward
momentum and less damage on the bolt stop. I recently put in 9 quarters and the bolt clears the bolt stop by about 1/4".

I have not shot it yet to test reliablity. I don't think there will be a problem, but what do you all think about putting in a spacer?

BTW, if I want to replace my recoil spring which one should I use? I have also heard you can use a standard 5.56 spring, does that sound correct or should I just buy a 9mm spring from, say RRA or Spikes etc? Can I buy direct from Colt?
handlebar aka Mike

·
Registered
852 Posts
How on earth did you get 9 quarters in the buffer tube and still be able to lock the bolt? My OEM spacer only allows 1/4" of travel past the boltstop.
Tell us more about your rifle. Does it have the notched hammer and unramped bolt? Are you the original owner?
I'd consider ordering the parts direct from Colt; there isn't the degree of uniformity with 9mm's that you experience with the 5.56 versions. Why do you think it needs to be replaced?
I've read the 'spacers' idea over at arfcom, and avoiding bolt overtravel does make sense, but let's get cleared up on exactly what is in your rifle.
Moon

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have a 1991 (about) green label 6450, with a sear block. I am owner #2. I bought it from a friend who kept it in his cruiser. It was very well taken care of while he owned it, and armory maintained, that is why I did not hesitate to buy from him. It shoots great, no FTF, or FTE ever, however I get a lot of what I would call bounce. Without the quarters, there was about 3/4" to 1" over travel of the bolt. Now with the quarters, I have about 1/4" before the stop. I certainly don't want to promote breakage of the bolt stop, that is why I am trying the quarter "trick".I do not have a ramped bolt and the hammer is original to the gun. It must be notched b/c no ramping-that sounds correct. I do not know how many rounds are through it, that is why I want to get another spring.Hope this clears up some of your questions.
I have since put a Magpul forend on it along with changing to a full sized collapsable stock. It just looks better.
Handle aka Mike

http://s585.photobucket.com/albums/...view&current=IMG_1493.jpg&mediafilter=noflash

http://s585.photobucket.com/albums/...view&current=IMG_1491.jpg&mediafilter=noflash

http://s585.photobucket.com/albums/...view&current=IMG_1490.jpg&mediafilter=noflash

·
Registered
852 Posts
Mike, why not pull your buffer and measure it? I'll do the same with my relatively recent production 6450. The ramped bolt is an article of faith over at ARFCOM; you'd likely do well to price having your bolt ramped at ADCO and installing a standard AR FCG or a Geissele.
Be in touch here; we'll get you sorted out. I'm guessing the older buffers were shorter; current production is longer for just the reasons you mentioned. I'd personally feel better with a newer buffer rather than a stack of quarters banging around in there.
Moon

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quarters work just fine. 7 give me about 1/4 to 3/8 inch clearance passing the boltnstop. Had no failures of any kind. BTW, no jiggling or movement of the quarters.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Mike, couple things:
-remove your buffer and measure its OAL; once you post your numbers, I'll pull my buffer and do the same.
-the story over at Arfcom is that the rampless bolts are reputed to be hard on hammer pins, because the extreme angle leads to rough and abrupt cocking. More recent Colts have ramped bolts to ease the strain on the hammer pin

The notched hammer/unramped bolt was one of Colt's many efforts to make sure nobody could make their semiautos into rock n'rolls. The sear block is more of the same thinking. Do you have the oversize FCG pins? Current production has dispensed with the notched hammer and uses a ramped bolt; good idea all the way around.

ADCO should be able to machine your bolt, and a Geissele SSA hammer/trigger is working just fine in mine; make sure you get the oversize pins if you rifle indeed has them.
If there is a difference in buffer length (and it sounds like there will be), then you can either continue using the quarters or order a new buffer from Colt.
Moon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts