Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Purposes: 1. self protection while remote camping
2. Competition shooting. Bullseye, steel

Caliber: 9mm

Attributes: 1. Two mag slots would be nice, but not a need
2. Reasonable to clean
3. easy to pull back the slide, or be able to add a pull ring.
4. fits my medium to small hand. (the Smith and Wesson L frame seem ideal for me.)

Looking at: 1. Competition SS

Suggestions?

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Colt Competition Model 9mm

I can vouch for the 9mm Colt Competition Model. This one is in stainless and I liked it so much I bought a blued one. I've had zero issues with it and as you can see by the target it's quite accurate with my handloads. The only negative is that Colt only supplies 1 magazine with the new pistols (if built after November 2018).

IMG_1215.jpg IMG_1210.jpg IMG_1207.JPG Colt Competition Model 9mm.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can vouch for the 9mm Colt Competition Model. This one is in stainless and I liked it so much I bought a blued one. I've had zero issues with it and as you can see by the target it's quite accurate with my handloads. The only negative is that Colt only supplies 1 magazine with the new pistols (if built after November 2018).

Your target is impressive.
How's the breakdown for cleaning?
Can a pull ring be added to the slide to make it easier to pull?
Any feed issues?

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
The break down is the same for any 1911. I'm in my 60's and don't have any issues with racking the slide. Cocking the hammer first makes racking the slide easier. I only shoot handloads through mine. Both of mine have been 100% reliable. I have about 3000 rounds through the stainless one and only about 500 through the blued one. The recipe listed on the target works in both pistols and is the most accurate of rounds I've tried. I've experimented with cast lead round nose bullets, both 125g and 135g sized .356 and find that the .355 JRN bullets are the best for me. The bullets are commercially made up here (Canada) by a company called Wolf Bullets.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I will also step out of the light and into the darkness and suggest..........a Glock 17 or 19. They just shoot, and shoot and shoot. Easy to clean, operate and hit small targets. Also you could accidentally drop it in the campfire and sleep well knowing you can replace it the next morning for the 400 dollar range in the used market.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Browning Hi Power. Proven by decades of use by various military and police forces - you can count on it to work. Since it's a single action hammer gun, if you get a bad round just cock the hammer and try again. Double stack mag, but not as bulky as most plastic guns. Much easier than a 1911 to field strip. They're discontinued, so value will hold. Lastly, they're an elegant, beautiful design. Life's too short to shoot ugly guns. Good luck, and let us know what you choose.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Purposes: 1. self protection while remote camping
2. Competition shooting. Bullseye, steel

Caliber: 9mm

Attributes: 1. Two mag slots would be nice, but not a need
2. Reasonable to clean
3. easy to pull back the slide, or be able to add a pull ring.
4. fits my medium to small hand. (the Smith and Wesson L frame seem ideal for me.)

Looking at: 1. Competition SS

Suggestions?
My question about your question is where you mention protection while remote camping...protection from what? If two legged, 9mm will be good. If you’re talking about large 4 legged (bear), a heavier caliber might be called for. Maybe 10mm? It’s in SS and mine came with 2 mags.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Your note confused me about size of grip. The S&W L frame is a revolver. I also think you are wanting a pistol for different reasons that seem mutally exclusive to me. A personal defense pistol might need to be concealed and larger pistols don't lend themselves to that activity while compact lightweight guns don't lend themselves well to target work. While I prefer Colts for a lot of reasons I have to think that a SIG 225 single stack magazine might be more your cup of tea. I own one and it's one of the pistols I use for my annual HR218 permit qualification. It's not really a compact though for SIG it is referred to as one. There is a short trigger available for it that would make it comfortable for any size hand and I believe the slide is exceptionally easy to operate. I will agree with Phyllis1 about the CZ line of pistols and also that the Browning HP is excellent. Any of those would be good choices.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
You need not restrict yourself to a single all purpose handgun.
Try 'em out. Nobody said you have to keep 'em all.
The Browning High Power is and will always be the benchmark by which every 9mm must be judged, and is a suitably stout round for those special social occasions.
A medium frame .38 special snub revolver will work in every security situation, is easy to shoot, and carries well.
A large frame, large bore revolver is what is needed for big critters.
A medium frame .38 special~6" revolver is a great for target shooting.
You need a minimum of three handguns to cover the range of your needs.
More like four, actually.
If you find one handgun that does it all, please post.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You need not restrict yourself to a single all purpose handgun.
Try 'em out. Nobody said you have to keep 'em all.
The Browning High Power is and will always be the benchmark by which every 9mm must be judged, and is a suitably stout round for those special social occasions.
A medium frame .38 special snub revolver will work in every security situation, is easy to shoot, and carries well.
A large frame, large bore revolver is what is needed for big critters.
A medium frame .38 special~6" revolver is a great for target shooting.
You need a minimum of three handguns to cover the range of your needs.
More like four, actually.
If you find one handgun that does it all, please post.
You are right. There is no gun that does it all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My question about your question is where you mention protection while remote camping...protection from what? If two legged, 9mm will be good. If you’re talking about large 4 legged (bear), a heavier caliber might be called for. Maybe 10mm? It’s in SS and mine came with 2 mags.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bear spray for bears. So, I am more concerned about human aggressors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your note confused me about size of grip. The S&W L frame is a revolver. I also think you are wanting a pistol for different reasons that seem mutally exclusive to me. A personal defense pistol might need to be concealed and larger pistols don't lend themselves to that activity while compact lightweight guns don't lend themselves well to target work. While I prefer Colts for a lot of reasons I have to think that a SIG 225 single stack magazine might be more your cup of tea. I own one and it's one of the pistols I use for my annual HR218 permit qualification. It's not really a compact though for SIG it is referred to as one. There is a short trigger available for it that would make it comfortable for any size hand and I believe the slide is exceptionally easy to operate. I will agree with Phyllis1 about the CZ line of pistols and also that the Browning HP is excellent. Any of those would be good choices.
The reference to the L frame was for a comparison of my hand size. This afternoon i tried different pistols not shot them, just handled them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This afternoon I handled a few semi-autos and made a discovery. I don't like them, any of those I handed. Too much to do, too awkward. I wanted more rounds available, but I just didn't like the semi-autos. I like a revolver.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
In a revolver you have a lot more choices and you may choose a K or L frame S&W as the grip is identical for both. You can shoot 38 special for targets and 357 magnum for predators. Good luck with the Bear Spray. It's alledgedly a hopped up higher dose spray of the variety that LEO's carry. As a chemical Weapons Instructor for law enforcement, I have experienced the police version first hand and I know that there are people who have no reaction to it. There are dogs that have no reaction to it in tests I ran...a lot of them. Before I would depend for my life on it I would want to see it work on a Grizzly or Brown Bear. In the case reports where it was responsible for running off a bear, no one seems to know what kind of bear it was for sure. They all just guess it's a Grizzly when in fact smaller Blacks are much more common and all bears tend to avoid people unless hungry or with cubs. People should never be surprised by bears. Bears smell like a garbage dump because they never bath except when crossing water or in the rain. Every time one has been closeby they are easy to smell. If someone gets surprised, it's because they are not paying attention.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In a revolver you have a lot more choices and you may choose a K or L frame S&W as the grip is identical for both. You can shoot 38 special for targets and 357 magnum for predators. Good luck with the Bear Spray. It's alledgedly a hopped up higher dose spray of the variety that LEO's carry. As a chemical Weapons Instructor for law enforcement, I have experienced the police version first hand and I know that there are people who have no reaction to it. There are dogs that have no reaction to it in tests I ran...a lot of them. Before I would depend for my life on it I would want to see it work on a Grizzly or Brown Bear. In the case reports where it was responsible for running off a bear, no one seems to know what kind of bear it was for sure. They all just guess it's a Grizzly when in fact smaller Blacks are much more common and all bears tend to avoid people unless hungry or with cubs. People should never be surprised by bears. Bears smell like a garbage dump because they never bath except when crossing water or in the rain. Every time one has been closeby they are easy to smell. If someone gets surprised, it's because they are not paying attention.
I have seen one bear, a black bear. We have cougar here in the southwest, never seen one, just tracks. Coyotes and wolfs, I could never shoot one though. Good point on bear spray.

Yup, I am sticking with a revolver. Much easier for me to use.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
^^^^^You have already started down the path to success.
Now that you have narrowed the choices a little, you can consider ones that can do double duty.
.44 special comes to mind. It makes a big bloody hole, and can be stoked with aggressive rounds. It can be shot with rounds that handle easily for practice. It is a lot of whack with not too much ruckus. A 4" can be carried easily.
Elmer Keith disintegrated a number of .44 specials while developing a high powered .44. His experimental loads were way over the top, and decent .44 special loads exist for any application you like.
Just a thought....

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
^^^^^You have already started down the path to success.
Now that you have narrowed the choices a little, you can consider ones that can do double duty.
.44 special comes to mind. It makes a big bloody hole, and can be stoked with aggressive rounds. It can be shot with rounds that handle easily for practice. It is a lot of whack with not too much ruckus. A 4" can be carried easily.
Elmer Keith disintegrated a number of .44 specials while developing a high powered .44. His experimental loads were way over the top, and decent .44 special loads exist for any application you like.
Just a thought....

There is an L frame that "was" made in 44 Special. They are still around but often at too much money due to their status. That is the 696 Smith and Wesson. It is a 3" barrel, stainless steel but only holds 5 shots. It is a size frame that you already know you like. There is also a lighterweight and later version called a 396 but I think you might prefer the heavier original. The 696 comes in a no dash version and a -1 version. The -1 version has an internal firing pin and some minor improvements. I like the early one with the firing pin on the hammer, 696 no dash. But that's just a personal preference.

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
"G"overnment model, equipped and modified to suit.

Nothing else that begins with a "G"

·
Registered
2,663 Posts

Agree with the 44 special idea. I would go with something like this- S&W 21-4 .44 special, those are out of print, but can be found used. Some don't like the modern 're-issues' but I think they are first rate. 2nd choice would be a S&W Mod 28 or 27- those would be better for ammo availability.

I wish S&W would make another batch of Mod 21's and Mod 58's!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts