Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a background in 1911 features and editions through the years. What are the essential collector books?

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Charles Clawson's books on the 1911 and its various configurations are collector's items in their own right. Long out of print, they command serious prices.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mmmm yes I have been looking through the web and Mr Clawsons books are very valuable it seems. To clarify, I am interested in the collectable military issue guns. Anything out there that would guide me through some of the pitfalls at a more entry level price than the Clawson titles? I am willing to spend a couple hundred, but not 1500$ Yet....
thanks, Jim

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Not a book but a CD of gorgeous 1911/1911A1 Mil. and Government models...a real education and great reference. Contact Karl Karash at [email protected].

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Point taken dogface.
I am not an advanced collector, but I do want to recognize what is in front of me. At this time I am looking to build knowledge not a collection.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts

·
Registered
9,044 Posts
Then buy the books - you'll gain knowledge that'll help you in your search.

Sure, they're expensive on the tertiary market, but 'good' reference books don't lose value, and the knowledge gained will help in making decisions.

·
Registered
306 Posts
For a great " starting" book at a very low price range , you can't beat the Model 1911 book by Joe Poyer from North Cape Publications. It often goes under the radar , and has less "snob" appeal to a collector ,but the information is generally spot on .You will want Meadows, Goddard, and likely Clawson at some point , but much depends on how serious your collection and your interest is..

·
Registered
621 Posts
Colt Automatic Pistols by Donald B. Bady. Tons of info on the early 1911's, production, serial numbers, WW1 & WW2 production.....and pictures!

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
The Bady book also has some really big errors, like the MODEL OF 1911 U.S.M.C., which never existed except for the fakes.

The Meadows books are a series, and aren't priced out of reason.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts