Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to send out a 3rd gen for a pair of mother of pearl handles. Was hoping a forum member would have someone they've dealt with and would recommend their work. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
I know Eagle Grips does MOP stocks for Colt SAAs. I have never owned a set of MOP stocks from them but have owned lots of Eagle Grip stocks made from Sambar Stag, Ivory, Rosewood, and Ebony. I have been very happy with their service and the quality of thier products. They will do fitting of Colt SAA stocks which is probably a good idea with MOP. I would call them and discuss the matter.

www.eaglegrips.com

·
Registered
242 Posts

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
"I recall discussing it with them and they said it is fragile as glass, literally and only recommend it for display."

:bang_wall:I think this is just "cover my a-- BS! I read all the time about "don't shoot your gun with the MOP grips on it, they may break" "MOP grips are so fragile that you shouldn't shoot the gun with them on it":mad:

Apparently someone forgot to tell the Texas Rangers, about this as several of them had MOP grips on their SAA's and they were not known for "babying" their firearms! :confused: I have had MOP grips on a lot of pistols, including ones that I shot regularly. The only time I ever saw a grip get chipped was when my teen age son dropped the gun on its butt on a cement driveway!:(

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Who can carve me a set of pearl with the steer on it,, you know the steer with the ruby red eyes. Who does this work ??

John

·
Registered
242 Posts
All I can say is I'm way beyond happy with the quality of fitting on my mammoth ivories.
Perfectly beveled to fit the frame.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I grey up in South Texas and many lawmen from the 1880s thur thr 1920s carried a lot of gun with pearl grips. As a advanced collector I have a number of Colt SAA in my collection with pearl grips on them One of My most prized is a matching set of 1880s Colt SAA in 44-40 with 7 1/2 inch barrels that was carried by a Texas Ranger from 1898 to 1921 in deep South Texas alone the Mexican Border. The grips are carved with the steerhead design and the eyes have a ruby in them on each side of the grip that is carried on the outside of each hip Also is the orginal carved double hoster made by Hestier and the Old Ranger must have been one tough Old Bastart because the belt size is only 32 inch. Two 7 1/2 Colts and a row of 44-40 is not light. If I knew how to post a picture of them I would. I think I will learn in the next few days and post a picture for everone to see.

If I could, I would like to tell about something I was part of back in the 1960s that some may find interesting. Without calling names, An Old Texas Lawman I was close friends with had been after a killer for some time and he had information that the hombre would be in a small village at a chicken fight and cantina the following Saturday night. I was already experenced in the area and He ask Me if I would be interested in going with him to pay the s.o.b. a surprise visit. We drove as far as we could and the Old Lawman had made made plans with a rancher to borrow a couple of good horses to go the rest of the way. By the time we got to the place it was already close to dark and a Mexican lady that was His informant was watching outside for us. Once she saw us, She informed Us that he was inside with three or four of his fellow buddies and they were looking for trouble all day and they were bullying everone.
I knew the Man I was with and I watched as He pulled his 45 from his right hip and checked the cartridges making sure then He pulled the left 45 and did the same and His face turned into a scary expression and He looked at Me and ask If I was ready, I had a 45 Colt Auto with two magazanes in my pocket just in case. This Old Man Carried scars from knife fights and gunfights and at the time this happen He had to be in his late 60s and He could turn from being a nice polite sunburned Old Man into a Bad s.o.b. in a seconds time and thats the mood he was in at the time.
The Mexican lady that helped us moved back as We entered the entrance to find the room had a dozen or more people in it and just as We entered We came face to face with the hombre We were after and on each side of Him stood his sorry buddies. Fear flashed across his face as He yelled "Chin Gow" and at the same time he reached for a 45 Colt Auto in his belt and as He did his two buddies standing on each side of him reached for their pistols. I never saw the Old Mans hands when they moved but the sound of a 45 Colt firing three times so fast it sounded like one shot and at the same time three hombres are falling to the dirt floor in no longer than the blink of an eye as the fourth hombre is screaming "No kill Me please" and he has his hands high in the air. It was all over before I could fire a single shot from the 45 in my hand and as in a gun fight in a room with others around this was no different, Men were running over women trying to get out windows and doors and tables were turning over and a few people just frose in place with their eyes wide and mouth open in shock. Now the Part I will always remember.

With the main hombre laying at our feet with the top of his head gone and the second hombre with the entire right side of his head missing and the third on the floor with half the side of his neck blowaway as blood squatted out in a stream and the sound of his boot hitting the dirt floor as his leg kicked in death, I hear the Old Texas say in Spanish "Is there anyone else who would like to get in on this fight, Come on now You S.O.B. Come On Now" I can tell You for damn sure not a soul wanted any part of the fight at this point and I would say that was a damn wise decision. Here is what reminded me about sharing this with You Pards.

I stood next to the Old Man as He open the gate on his 45 and ejected the three fired cases to the dirt floor as one fell in a large pool of blood at his feet and I of all things while watching him remembered what Patton had said about pearl grips and what Patton would think if He were standing where I was looking at the 45 Colt in the old Mans hands with beautiful pearl grips on the gun He had just sent three men to hell with in a flash of an eye. I know for damn sure I would never disgrade him or his peal handled 45s on his hip.

I wish now I could have had a movie camera to record what happen that afternoon because there is no way one would beleave the speed it happen in and if anyone tried to tell me about it, I would have a hard time understanding how fast things are over in a gunfight most of the time. About 20 years after this happen I heard the Old Texan had died in his sleep at home. I will never forget him and wish I had his 45 pearl handled Colts in My collection becasue I know from personal experence He was a man who could and did use them.
Your Pard, Texas Man

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looking to send out a 3rd gen for a pair of mother of pearl handles. Was hoping a forum member would have someone they've dealt with and would recommend their work. Thanks in advance.
I have a pair of steerhead MOP grips for a 3rd Gen. that are available.
Contact me for info.
C.T.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Who can carve me a set of pearl with the steer on it,, you know the steer with the ruby red eyes. Who does this work ??

John
John. I bought these at the CCA show and was told they were carved by Dan Cheziek who has fitted a lot of grips for the annual CCA show gun. They do not have ruby eyes but that could easily be added. I am still in the process of fitting them myself but I would recommend having them fitted if at all available as they are a pain. Wet sanding is required and it takes quite a long time. Before buying these I checked with Eagle Grips and they will fit their product for about $60, However, at that time all the MOP they had was "presentation grade" at $900 plus, and they were not carved, just plain. Regards, keith

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Here my K frame pearls, came with badly chipped corners, fitted to my .44-40 S&W Frontier. Actually not difficult, the top curve fits and all else needed is reduce to fit the frame and relocate the positioning pin hole.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Two 7 1/2 Colts and a row of 44-40 is not light. If I knew how to post a picture of them I would. I think I will learn in the next few days and post a picture for everone to see.
Don't forget!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Swamprat: Can you post more / different pics of those MOP's on the SAA with the flag? Im having a hard time seeing all if it in the picture, but what I can see looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Elen Hunting & Importing Inc.: Exhibition Grade Colt and Ruger S/A Bark Mammoth Ivory Grips

I had these gents do 2 single actions in mammoth ivory and tgheir fitting was second to NONE.

They also do mother of pearl though I haven't seen it 1st hand. I recall discussing it with them and they said it is fragile as glass, literally and only recommend it for display. Whatever material you choose, they can do it up right.
Elen Hunt & Importing won't make a set of MOP for my Police Positive Special. I even asked if I could send the grips off of it to them, and still no. (??) Seems to me that if they can make a pair for a SSA, PPS would'nt be any more difficult (????)

·
Registered
713 Posts
I hear their main customers are in New Orleans. You might try their phone book:)

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Swamprat: Can you post more / different pics of those MOP's on the SAA with the flag? Im having a hard time seeing all if it in the picture, but what I can see looks pretty cool.
I'll see if I can get a better pic of the grips and post it. They are on a different gun now:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts