Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone know what's the recommended grain size for the 1 in 7 twist, 5.56 chambered LE6920? Also, will it be the same if I use .223?

thank you for your time

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had very good performance (group accuracy) from 69gr Sierra Match bullets, but for carbine training use 55gr ball.

·
Registered
65 Posts
William B +1

I have a 6920r. From what I have read, this firearm likes anything beyond 55 grain.
IMHO, the only difference between .223 and 5.56 is pressure. You do not have to worry about the difference.

You will find bargains for .223 50 grain. Your varmit loads go down to 40 grain. Read the box first carefully to make sure you are buying ammo that is 55 grain and up.
Another member mentioned 69 match. I have read nothing but good about this and can't wait to try them myself.
Have some fun with it. Make some time at the range and buy different manuf. 55 grain and up and test which cartridge does the best for your firearm. I find it fun to go back later and reveiw the paper targets. I am lucky that my 6920r likes PMC. Cheap Korean 55 grain. However, I am on a Made In America kick so I fire mostly Federal. Hornady TAP is WICKED, but cost to much to fire every weekend. I keep that stuff in a separate mag for home use.

Get out there and Enjoy...and be safe.

·
Registered
288 Posts
A 1/7 twist should do a good job stabilizing 55gr and longer whether you're using .223 or 5.56.
Well said. :)

The beauty of a Colt with a 1/7 twist is that it will shoot any bullet weight you want to - 55 gr. to 77 gr.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts