Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was just a very young lad, my Dad took me to a rodeo. The star of the rodeo was cowboy star/singer Ken Maynard. During a break, Dad took me to the concession stand for peanuts and a coke. While there I saw a cowboy wearing a "cowboy gun" with "red handles." I determined then I would someday have a "cowboy gun" with "red handles."

Well, it took me awhile, but I finally succeded in getting a pair of red grips. These are vermilion wood(padauk) by Don Collins of Collinscraft Grips:

Bob Wright

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Padauk is one of my most favorite Woods!

Wonderful to work with, and really beautiful.

It will tend to fade to a lovely rich sort of Brown over time and or UV though.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
When I was just a very young lad, my Dad took me to a rodeo. The star of the rodeo was cowboy star/singer Ken Maynard. During a break, Dad took me to the concession stand for peanuts and a coke. While there I saw a cowboy wearing a "cowboy gun" with "red handles." I determined then I would someday have a "cowboy gun" with "red handles."

Well, it took me awhile, but I finally succeded in getting a pair of red grips. These are vermilion wood(padauk) by Don Collins of Collinscraft Grips:

Bob Wright
Out here where I live a little East of Kingman we have Cedar-Juniper trees which when cut looks a lot like your grips,most of us out here rely on woodstoves in the winter,I've burnt some nice looking wood over the years that would have made some pretty grips.
I met Ken Maynard back in the late 50's,Monty Laird was a stuntman I met about the same time when I was doing trick shooting shows @ Corriganville & we stayed friends until he died about 6 or 7 yrs ago,he was Ken Maynards Godson.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Those are nice!:) I like red handles too;) Here's a pair I made out of Vermillion years ago for one of my Bisleys, the "HC" is made out of a Mexican peso.:cool:

And here's a pair I made out of Purpleheart:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hi Bob those are wonderful grips and a nice photograph too. Don is a real gentleman to deal with.

He also does some amazing work with Corian, which is a DuPont polymer usually used in kitchen tops and the like.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
nice grips and I like the ruger as well. I also see your post at ruger forum. I thought you had an old 3 screw super? post a pic of it with a colt, too keep the colt only guys happy.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Very nice Bob, and not only the grips. I too have a SuperBlackhawk and love it.

I noticed the load label on the box too. That's quite a flame thrower of a load you have there. I bet that one gives you a little recoil.

Thanks for posting this Bob, it brought back some very good shooting memories for me.

Bud

Bob Wright

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Very nice looking! My desk is made out of Padauk and I have a Randall knife with Padauk grips.....never thought about it for revolver grips but I will now. Very handsome, thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nice grips and I like the ruger as well. I also see your post at ruger forum. I thought you had an old 3 screw super? post a pic of it with a colt, too keep the colt only guys happy.
At the time I don't have a photo of a Three Screw Ruger posed with a Colt, but here is a Blackhawk posed with a New Frontier, both .45 Colt. The grips on the Ruger are ebony from Lett:

Unfortunately, Lett is no longer in business, and never made grips for anything but Rugers.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As to having a Three Screw Super Blackhawk, I have several. This my latest acquisition from a recent gun show:

And a few more, though the one on the right is a Blackhawk converted from a .357 Magnum:

Bob Wright

1 - 13 of 13 Posts