Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have a Red Head catalog from the 1930’s, what information are you seeking ? The numbers vary quite a bit with different holster styles, models etc.
Regards,
turnerriver

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, turnerriver. Numbers are:

1209DB 6 1/2
1308B (may not be a Red Head).
1204DB 5 78 (5 7/8"?)

·
Registered
927 Posts
1209DB-Detachable Belt Holster, usually has a safety strap. Fits a Colt Woodsman with a 6 1/2” barrel. Given the date of the catalog that should mean a first series pistol.
1308B- a medium grade “Closed-Top” holster meaning a flap holster. Sized for a Colt .45 auto and of course the .38 Super and “ Colt’s .22 cal.(heavy frame)”.
1204DB-another detachable belt holster, this one made for a Luger, I’m assuming with a 5 7/8” barrel.
90045- there are some three digit 900 series model numbers but no 900 listed in my catalog number 39, price list dated January 15, 1939.
Red Head holsters used a yellow thread on the seam with an interesting stitch pattern visible on the rear of the seam. They made a lot of holsters under other brand names and imprints. Their holsters were light and medium grade and were apparently popular as there are quite a few of them around. A number of VL&A holsters are identified as Heiser made holsters but are Red Head brand holsters like this one.
Regards,
turnerriver

·
Registered
686 Posts
1209DB-Detachable Belt Holster, usually has a safety strap. Fits a Colt Woodsman with a 6 1/2” barrel. Given the date of the catalog that should mean a first series pistol.
1308B- a medium grade “Closed-Top” holster meaning a flap holster. Sized for a Colt .45 auto and of course the .38 Super and “ Colt’s .22 cal.(heavy frame)”.
1204DB-another detachable belt holster, this one made for a Luger, I’m assuming with a 5 7/8” barrel.
90045- there are some three digit 900 series model numbers but no 900 listed in my catalog number 39, price list dated January 15, 1939.
Red Head holsters used a yellow thread on the seam with an interesting stitch pattern visible on the rear of the seam. They made a lot of holsters under other brand names and imprints. Their holsters were light and medium grade and were apparently popular as there are quite a few of them around. A number of VL&A holsters are identified as Heiser made holsters but are Red Head brand holsters like this one.
Regards,
turnerriver

That's a chain stitch, John, one of the earliest sewing machine types. Not used on gunleather because once frayed, all of the stitch line comes apart like a zipper; and it frays readily because it all sits proud of the leather (the 'knot' is not inside the stitch holes as on a lockstitch). The snap is quite similar to the old Lawrence button pattern if you remember that one.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Regards,
turnerriver

Great info, thank you much. Regarding the 90045: it has a barrel length of 9" or so. I am thinking an 8 3/8" S&W? The snaps have the duck image with RED HEAD around the edge. The others do not have a red head ID'd snap, just a plain snap. The one with the duck may be a newer issue so not in your catalog. k

1 - 7 of 7 Posts