Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
To the Collector, PPPfffffttt, you've destroyed it and it is now a Jack Handled.

To the Guy who likes cool guns to shoot, That Thing would be AWESOME and will pay more than the Blue.

Best of Luck!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If I were doing for myself and planned on keeping it, a perfect nickel rev. is beautiful, but if I planned on resale I dont think I would

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Rule of thumb is that refinishing will negatively impact the value of a firearm as it's no longer original. Exceptions are with rusted and pitted specimens as their worth is generally gone to begin with. Some people like a pretty gun to shoot and polish up but if it were mine, good honest wear isn't an issue and I'd keep shooting it until it fell apart.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Collectors who probably won't buy a gun with wear will tell people not to re-finish guns with wear to maintain collector value.

You never indicated if your gun had wear? Moot point since you decided not to re-finish I guess.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks for your input. I will not refinish.
Good call. My oldest Python shows its age through years of use, but I like the character and have never thought about refinishing it.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
The subject of refinish should be approached without any consideration of resale.If you have a gun that is rusted and you want to improve its appearance then refinish is the way to go.If you just want a nice looking shooter and don't care about resale value then refinish would be the way to go TO MAKE YOU HAPPY. To a Collector a refinish kills the value and would say to preserve value leave it as is.It is a judgement call so just do whatever makes you happy to meet your goal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts