Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Colt 357 model on a trade. It has been refinished so that the colt trademark (horse with raised front hooves) on the frame do not show anymore. Finish is about 95% and it has black Pachmayr grips on. I would surely appreciate it if anyone can comment on how much this could be worth. Serial no. is 34XX ("XX" being the last 2 numbers). Thanks.

·
Registered
535 Posts
That's up to you, I reckon. I have one I bought at a dealer for $350 about 2 years ago ... no box, no papers, fair+ finish, original, target grips. Excellent shooter. I've had, over the years, an original Trooper, an Officer's Model Match and several Official Police's and all of them were well worth the price. (I've owned several Pythons, too - two of which were trouble!) FWW, Colt's are harder to check than any of the other brands - the lockwork is much more complicated. They usually are quite good for single-action, deliberate, aimed, slow fire. For my money, any of the E/I frame Colts always get my attention and when I spot one I like, I'll pay up to $500 for one, depending on condition. But, too, where I live, one doesn't get much to pick from.

·
Registered
807 Posts
rcrambold:

Although I'm still just a begining Colt collector, following are some pictures of a couple of my mint older Colt's(These were almost impossible to find here in the PRK!):

Colt OMS(Circa, 1950):

Colt "357"(Circa, 1960)With original and aftermarket stocks:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Colt38, that engraving just makes me drool with envy. Beautiful indeed. Very well done. The one I got is a 4-inch model. I really have no plans to sell this one but I just want to know more in terms of value. With S&W revolvers, or any firearm for that matter, the value just drops whenever the item has been refinished. I don't know if it would be a good rule of thumb but from what I observe from the auction web-sites, the refinished ones go for about half the price of a model that's in LNIB condition. But even with that I still don't know what value to put against my latest "toy". This is the 1st Colt firearm that I've ever owned and I really don't know much about Colts. This forum has been very helpful to me as a source of information. Thanks to all and I look forward to reading more of your input.

[This message has been edited by PinoyInFL (edited 06-06-2005).]

·
Registered
807 Posts
PinoyInFlorida:

1)Thanks for your compliment's regarding my engraved Colt "357"!

2)It's pretty difficult to place a value on your refinished Colt "357"? There were only about 15,000 of these guns made-and, since these were the very first medium framed Colt .357 ever made(and, being the "Granddaddy" of the Colt Python!)makes these revolvers very special, indeed! I'd say that the value, would depend on whatever a "Buyer's" willing to pay, for one of these, Colt "357's"?

3)Regardless of value(Low or high?)you might want to just keep it and shoot it, to just enjoy owning one of Colt's "Premium" made .357 revolvers(And, a "Dick Tracy" Special!)!

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 06-06-2005).]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The 357 has always been a big sleeper. I think their prices have been held down simply because they look just like a Trooper. Now with yours being refinished and wearing Goodyears you may not get close to $300 for it unless the buyer knows what he/she is looking at.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts