Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it Parkerized? Does it have U.S. Property stickers? How is the lockup? If the lockup is at all acceptable that is a great buy. Even if it's not, a trip back to Colt should make it just fine.

------------------
I'm so worried about what's hapenin' today, in the middle east, you know.
And I'm worried about the baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow.
I'm so worried about the fashions today, I don't think they're good for your feet.
And I'm so worried about the shows on TV that sometimes they want to repeat.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Unless things have changed, Colt will not work on the 1917, New Service, Shooting Master or other revolvers that have been discontinued. I tried to send them a New Service to have the timing adjusted. No cigar. This is what is beginning to make shooting the old double action Colts dicey. If something breaks, you could have a real problem. Finding an experienced Colt gunsmith is also getting a little more difficult. May as well shoot Hopkins & Allen or Murwin and Hulberts as far as finding parts.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ColtCobra:
Unless things have changed, Colt will not work on the 1917, New Service, Shooting Master or other revolvers that have been discontinued. I tried to send them a New Service to have the timing adjusted. No cigar. This is what is beginning to make shooting the old double action Colts dicey. If something breaks, you could have a real problem. Finding an experienced Colt gunsmith is also getting a little more difficult. May as well shoot Hopkins & Allen or Murwin and Hulberts as far as finding parts.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bummer. I talked to them just a couple months ago about a 1917 and Army Special and they said fine, just send them in and they would work on them. I hate to hear that because I got involved in a move and never sent them in. They're still sitting here boxed and ready to go.

If this is their policy now it's not one that will make the Colt owners more loyal.

------------------
I'm so worried about the fashions today, I don't think they're good for your feet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Today i looked at a Colt .45 ACP that had been refinished in dull black matte. Otherwise, it seemed original except it had nice "COLT?" checkered wood grips. Didn't have M1917 on bottom of butt frame (or is that only on S&W's?).

Seller wants $275; what do you all think?

·
Registered
178 Posts
jar,
Not to doubt your word but are you sure they understood about the 1917. I have an Official Police (similar to the Army Special) which they retimed about 5 years ago. I believe they will work on these as they have the same action as the Python. BTW they must have done a trigger job while it was there as it now has a better trigger than most Pythons. I have not personally spoken to them but they may do refinishes or some other work that doesn't involve parts replacement. I just know I could not get them to retime a New Service. Ben

·
Registered
535 Posts
Aw, geez, fellas! I just LOVE spending OPM! (Other People's Money!) So far, this evening in Fanatsy Land, I've bought a Colt SAA with ivory grips and now, I'm about to buy a .45 new service for Jerry! Heck yeah, I'd buy it. I've only seen two or three NS's for sale in my neighborhood for the last ten years. One, a friend bought for $350 and the other was about mint and brought $750 as I recall. I AM concerned about the,"Good News/Bad News, from jar and ColtCobra ... I like the part about the nice work on the OP but I'm sorry to hear about the nix on the New Service. (I've coveted a Shooting Master since Ira Paine got me going on those on these pages.) Now, I guess I may as well pay the rent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Say fellows, I've got a few Colt Newservice parts, Doesn't Numrich gun parts carry parts anymore?

I have four cylinder bolts two new, two used.

Two cranes w/original finish which is kind of weird...must be military finish.

Star extractors in .45 acp or Colt.

Couple incomplete hammers off military guns.

Oh heck, tell me what you need and I'll see if I've got it.

I'm at [email protected], the only thing that would high priced is the new cylinder bolts...really impossible to find these.

44and45

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ColtCobra:
jar,
Not to doubt your word but are you sure they understood about the 1917. I have an Official Police (similar to the Army Special) which they retimed about 5 years ago. I believe they will work on these as they have the same action as the Python. BTW they must have done a trigger job while it was there as it now has a better trigger than most Pythons. I have not personally spoken to them but they may do refinishes or some other work that doesn't involve parts replacement. I just know I could not get them to retime a New Service. Ben
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ben, who knows. But it's pretty hard to mistake "A 1917 that needs timing" for most anything else. We even discussed that it had been plated at some time in the past. So sure, they may not have understood, or the person on the phone may not understand. I just hope that they will still work on them. In the meantime though I will be looking for a local source.

------------------

·
Registered
81 Posts
If it doesn't have U.S. Army markings on the butt and "United States Property" stamped on the underside of the barrel then it's probably a commercial New Service revolver. Even the commercial models came with lanyard swivels and a lot of people mistake that alone for being military.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts