Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to refinish my blued colt python. I talked to Colt customer service and they recommend Custom Shop Inc. in Montana. I also heard that Baron Technologies and Turnbull do a good job. I am trying to get the same Colt Royal Blue finish back on the revolver. Colt says Custom Shop Inc. is very close the the original Colt Royal Blue finish. Does anyone have any experience with any of these companies and who is the best one for the job?

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
The "Royal Blue" was simply a higher polish of the metal before it was hot caustic blued just like the other Colts. When Colt was using the leather faced polishing wheels it truly was an exceptional finish with all the lettering and markings super sharp, but when they threw out the wood polishing wheels and went to buffing wheels the quality of the finish deteriorated. My '78 Python has a shiny blue finish, but the lettering is buffed terribly. The quality of the finish you will get depends on how good the person is at buffing your Colt. You might ask for examples of their work. A bad buffing is forever.

·
Premium Member
3,974 Posts
If you are patient, you can get in line for the "Gen2" Python at $1,499. How badly is the finish worn? I have a '77 with clamshell holster wear and it's going to stay just that way.

Reactions: oberon

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Even if you get a high-end refinish, it still becomes a refinished gun. If the Python has a family connection or a history, that worn finish is part of the character of the gun. A refinish may look good but it destroys the character.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,884 Posts
All other issues aside...........

The Custom Shop apparently does good work, BUT.... hold on to your wallet. I've heard that they charge an unbelievable price that's more then some used Pythons may go for.

In the late 60's Colt changed the formula of their bluing chemicals. After the change Colt pistols had a more Black color.

Last I heard Turnbull no longer does Pythons but you might check anyway.

Other sources of Python Royal Blue work.......

Ford's is famous for doing a 1950's type Python "wet look".
They had a problem a few years ago but have apparently corrected it....

Ford's Custom Gun Refinishing | Crystal River, FL

Glenrock is very well known in the trade for offering the finest quality of polishing for custom gunsmiths who need the very best.

Glenrock Blue--Custom Gun Bluing

Ron's is a firearms restoration service said to be a slight step just below Turnbull.

Ron’s Gun Shop. Antique Gun Restoration, Gun Bluing and Custom Gun Blueing Services

Precision Bluing has pictures that look very good.

Precision Bluing | America's #1 Bluing Company!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Tread carefully, sir. I'd rather have a worn piece of history than a shiny Python with waves on the flats and even the slightest dished out screw holes. But in the end, it is your money. Spend it the way you want! Good luck and be sure and share photos.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,884 Posts
Tread carefully, sir. I'd rather have a worn piece of history than a shiny Python with waves on the flats and even the slightest dished out screw holes. But in the end, it is your money. Spend it the way you want! Good luck and be sure and share photos.
Which is why you have to be extremely careful who you let refinish a gun.
In the old days a lot of local small gun shops offered bluing but they seldom had the correct polishing equipment and never did enough to obtain and maintain the polishing skills.
They also were infamous for failing to run the tanks correctly so guns often came out with reddish colors.

These days, due to EPA regs, the expense of the equipment, danger, and need for a dedicated bluing area, few locals still do any bluing.
There are companies who do this as a business, but even there you have to be careful because some of them just aren't any good.

That's why there are VERY few refinisher companies who can be recommended, and only a very few capable of doing a Colt Royal Blue level polish and not botch up the metal.
A bad polish job stands out like a black eye to an experienced gun owner, but the average person only sees how shiny a new blue job is and never looks UNDER the color and shine to see the rounded edges, the dished out holes, the uneven transition from polished to bead blasted areas, and the waves in the flats.

Due to the hand labor and wages there is no inexpensive bluing.
You can get good bluing, or cheaper bluing..... choose ONE.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Well, I would say have the gun engraved.

Reactions: Rick Bowles

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought having it engraved. I was not too impressed talking to Custom Shop Inc. I sent them pictures of the revolver and needed to have the side plate edge repaired. They told me they would not give me an estimate or ball park figure to have it refinished unless I shipped it to them first. I feel Custom Shop Inc. will quote a very high quote and would hope I leave the firearm with them since I would have the cost of shipping already paid. I don't feel very comfortable with someone that can't even come up with an estimate with the pictures I provided them. I did call Baron Technologies who were much easier to get some answers from. After sendijng them pictures, they said they could refinish the revolver for about $600 and that includes checking the timing of the revolver. I don't know how close they can match the Royal Blue finish. I did call Turnbull and they said they really don't work on Pythons.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Any company should be able to quote you a range of prices at least. They should say something like a rebluing starts at $495, if very little extra needs to be done, and the max it would cost is $xxx if we have to do a lot."

Come to think of it, I remember they did have prices posted on their website, so I checked. Yes, they do. Custom Shop Restoration & Refinishing Services - Custom Shop So that is the best case. I've heard their restorations are much higher than that though, so I'd ask yourself how much do YOU want to spend? How much do you have in the gun? If it was free, I guess a reblue is the only cost. Still, you can very likely just sell yours, and buy one in better, original shape, cheaper than a reblue.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I am getting ready to refinish my blued colt python. I talked to Colt customer service and they recommend Custom Shop Inc. in Montana. I also heard that Baron Technologies and Turnbull do a good job. I am trying to get the same Colt Royal Blue finish back on the revolver. Colt says Custom Shop Inc. is very close the the original Colt Royal Blue finish. Does anyone have any experience with any of these companies and who is the best one for the job?

Just my opinion, for what it's worth. If you got a good deal on the Python and the revolvers condition does not affects the guns function, I'd not spend hundreds more just to own a somewhat better looking USED Python. In my case I'd use it for what it's meant for or trade up.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Good advice. Shoot it then shoot the hell out of it😃
Vic

Reactions: MarkInTx

·
Registered
76 Posts
Even if you get a high-end refinish, it still becomes a refinished gun. If the Python has a family connection or a history, that worn finish is part of the character of the gun. A refinish may look good but it destroys the character.
Got a 6" from a friend who got it from a friend, finish is all mottled. No rust, scratches etc. Just ....I don't even know how to describe it. Messed up, like blue had dripped all over it...... Gonna call Bill Oglesby...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts