Colt Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Got a 6" from a friend who got it from a friend, finish is all mottled. No rust, scratches etc. Just ....I don't even know how to describe it. Messed up, like blue had dripped all over it...... Gonna call Bill Oglesby...
That one sounds like a good candidate for a quality refinish.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That one sounds like a good candidate for a quality refinish.
Yup! lol...... I've got a 4" Dback 1970 with honest holster wear and I don't mind that a bit, but an otherwise nice Python that looks like it got splattered with cold blue? Nyet, that's gotta be fixed ....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Which is why you have to be extremely careful who you let refinish a gun.
In the old days a lot of local small gun shops offered bluing but they seldom had the correct polishing equipment and never did enough to obtain and maintain the polishing skills.
They also were infamous for failing to run the tanks correctly so guns often came out with reddish colors.

These days, due to EPA regs, the expense of the equipment, danger, and need for a dedicated bluing area, few locals still do any bluing.
There are companies who do this as a business, but even there you have to be careful because some of them just aren't any good.

That's why there are VERY few refinisher companies who can be recommended, and only a very few capable of doing a Colt Royal Blue level polish and not botch up the metal.
A bad polish job stands out like a black eye to an experienced gun owner, but the average person only sees how shiny a new blue job is and never looks UNDER the color and shine to see the rounded edges, the dished out holes, the uneven transition from polished to bead blasted areas, and the waves in the flats.

Due to the hand labor and wages there is no inexpensive bluing.
You can get good bluing, or cheaper bluing..... choose ONE.
EPA.....and that's why I was so pissed when Colt moved to West Hartford...
they were grandfathered in to do stuff at their old site. I bought a kinda "well loved" New Frontier 45 with the 7.5" tube at the Belleville gun show back in 1989, sent it to Colt and they put on a 5.5" bbl. ( Last one they had) and had it bright nickeled. TWO WEEKS from the day I sent it, it was back at my house. They even sent in the old style cardboard box with foam insert , and with a New Frontier manual they had leftover. I hadn't even asked about one of those. THOSE were the days of customer service!
A little later I sent them a nickel Diamondback to renickel the cylinder.
They did that, then polished the whole rest of the gun til you couldn't tell it had anything done to it. Marvelous.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts