Colt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some mid 60's "half moon" Python Grips and I going to refinish them. I have removed the Gold emblems and have new ones to put in when I'm done. I am wondering what types of finish are approrpriate, best, etc. that some of you used. I have considered, multiple coats of tung oil for the hand rubbed satin sheen look, satin spray varathane, gloss spray varathane, etc. I think I will not let the varnish get in the checkering though as it would probably tend to fill the grooves, so I'll probaly use either tung or linseed oil on the chekcered part. Thanks in advance for any experiences or suggestions the gurus that are here can offer.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
It's sorta a matter of whatever you want, that works.

The older Colt grips usually have a satin finish, not a high gloss, probably a varnish.

Thin the first coat pretty thin, and brush some on the checkering. After this first, thinned coat, don't apply anymore to the checkering.

You can use some 5 minute epoxy to get a good tight, no-movement fit of the grips, then you can mate the edges for a perfect match by light sanding.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts