Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently got a bunch of colts in an estate sale one is a colt python nickle finish in poor condition it is worth refinishing or is it better to have a poor finish but original none the less for value 4" barrel

Thank you

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just went through this dilema with a Diamondback I acquired through inheritance (see an earlier thread by me - some good info). There are certainly pros and cons but I chose to remove the surface rust myself and have an original Colt. I'm happy with my decision. Originals all the way.

·
Registered
345 Posts
If the Python is poor condition then hang in there,someone will pop up that will do your renick for ya,just dont get in a hurry to have it done tomorrow

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input I have heard that people who sent thier guns back to colt waited forever at best and then were not happy anyway. I will see how it goes and if I find someone who has an excellent history or good refinishing, then perhaps, but might just stay with it the way it is. Appreciate the input

·
Registered
72 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
recently got a bunch of colts in an estate sale one is a colt python nickle finish in poor condition... is worth refinishing or is it better to have a poor finish but original... for value

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it "for value" you mean resale value.

A pic would help determine your discription of "in poor condition". However, it sounds as if you haven't got much invested in the Python so a quick turn over would probably be cost efficient, not to mention less hassle.

One other thing to consider is mechanical condition. A handgun in poor mechanical condition may not be the best candidate for a refinish.

Lastly. If I were to sell this Python I'd offer it as is. That way I'd have those looking for original and those who might think it's worth refinishing. Once you refinish you can't go back to original.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Speaking strictly for the finish, it very much depends on what you perceive as poor condition. A nickel gun can look pretty bad but clean up very well with a polish such as Flitz. If the nickel is really damaged or pitted to the point where bare steel was exposed and shows rust spots that's a different story. Nickel is applied over copper so minor scratches and pits can show orange under close examination but it can be copper not rust. If there is rust for sure, it is a different consideration than a blued gun. On a blued gun the rust is where you see it and is on the surface. On a nickel gun the rust can propagate under the plating and removing what you can see is not a guarantee that you have "preserved" the gun. Probably a good hands-on inspection by someone you trust that is familiar with finishes is best. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are a couple pics not the best but gives you some idea. The gun had no grips on it so I stuck some on for now. What happened was the old guy who had this collection kept them in boxes so no one would know what they were I guess. Once he passed his family just stuck the boxes in the garage and thus most got pitted or some rust. The lot of 13 guns was just a lucky stumble onto that I got. Finding out from the other side of the forum (autos) the ONLY gun that was presevered and kept in perfect condition was a 1939 1st series woodsman match target model. Sounds like from the guys over there its worth the gamble on buying them for that gun alone
. Anyway here are a couple pics of the python so you can see what I am talking about.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
From the pics it doesn't really look too bad overall, but it would still take closer inspection of specific areas of concern. I would suggest a tube of Flitz from an Ace hardware or other convenient source and a little cleaning / polishing. You should do no harm and that will leave you with a better idea of the seriousness of any remaining blemishes. If there is some "violation" of the nickel, that will also give some amount of protection for the moment until you could have it further evaluated. JMHO /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
And you didn't comment about the bore and cylinders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts