Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting mighty quiet around here!

Some of you have mentioned the use of a "&" sign to indicate a factory refinsh was performed.

Can any of you post a close up of such a mark? Several examlpes would be nice.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I don't know about the re-finish mark "&", the only one I have seen is the "five point star" mark, at least on the older guns.
Just my .09 cents worth.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dick I wasn't aware of that mark. (BTW, stay high and dry out there in FL.)

OK, so how about close up pictures of any refinish mark, be it old or new gun?

[This message has been edited by WS23 (edited 09-16-2004).]

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have a Colt PPS that was manufactured in 1911. Beutiful condition...Nickle plating, flawless "C" grips, in caliber 32-20. Remember I said the pistol was manufactured in 1911, however the last patent date on top of the barrel is '26'. Just above the triggerguard on the right side rear is that '&' symbol that they tell me is a factory rework etc. Under the left grip plate on the butt are the the numbers 1266 and the letter 'N' these numbers are repeated around the front of the cylinder along with the letter 'N' again. These numbers are nowhere close to being the serial number of the pistol. The PPS appears to be almost new.... Hope this helps.... Henri

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I believe the "star" was used by Smith & Wesson for rework,repair and/or refinish. The amperstand( & ) is a Colt mark. One problem is that a perfectly "mint" piece couldve gone back to either company,for something as simple as the replacement of a broken part,and if the "star" or the "&" is on the gun,most everyone thinks the gun has been "refinished"",thus lowering its value to "collectors". S&W sometime in the 40s or 50s began stamping the month and year of the factory refinish inside of the grip frame,such as "904",if a gun was refinished this month. They also used a "B" or "N" for reblued or renickled. Finding particulars about the refinishing and/or "rebuilding" of a gun such as barrel length change etc. has been difficult with Smiths in that the factory repair service records are indexed by name of owner who had work done,NOT the date. At least this is what has been stated on the S&W Forum. Colt's repair records,I have no clue on. Bud

1 - 5 of 5 Posts