Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Colt fans,
great to find out that there is a special Colt-forum and much greater to get a member of it.
My first name is Uwe, 40 years old and from Germany.
Not too easy to get a handgun here on a legal way but possible if you work hard enough for it.
Because my father was a german police officer who collected guns in the past I can remember his 4" Python as long as I live. The python was built in 1966 - the same year I was born. So the virus was set on me and about 6 years ago I decided to start sport shooting.
And that was the first time I was able to shoot with the Python of my father - the only handgun left of his 70th - collection.
Can you imagine the moment before you shot a magnum for the first time in your life?? It was great!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
After one year I could get my first own gun and I decided to buy a 1911 - cal.45ACP.
But for matches in 357.mag I always borrow the Python from my father. As it has a 4" barrel, it is unfortunately not the best choice for matches.
So now I am thinking about buying an own revolver in 357.mag.
Of cause it cannot be something else than a 6"-Python.
/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My other fatso beside the coming python is a Harley FLH - Shovelhead, built in 1982.

Best regards to you all and have a great weekend.
Sunday morning 10 a.m. will be shooting time for me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Uwe

·
Administrator
7,302 Posts
Welcome Uwe /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Good luck on your 6" Python quest !

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck on your hunt for a Python. Love those Harleys myself.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Yea for Germany!

Yea for Uwe!

Glad you found the Forum. I'm also grateful you can own guns in Germany.

Don't shoot too loudly so you won't wake me up as it will be 3 A.M. over here. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Colt friends

and thanks for all your welcome! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
It is great to be part of this Colt-community.

It seems I have good luck.
A widdow of a died member of out shooting-club wants to sell a Python Elite stainless. He bought the Snake at the end of 1997 and he died because of cancer in 1998. The Elite has not got more than 100 shot and is laying in a safe since '98. I found it not more than 3 miles away and I was able to have a look at it and could compare it with the 4" Python from 1966 of my father. The elite seems to be of fine quality. A short discussion about the price ended in 350,- € for the gun.
A request to Colt brought the info, that this serial number was manufactured in May 1997.
However - I sent a request for a licence to the local government. I need to insure that I really need such a gun for my own to get better results on matches and I need to clearify that I have shot with such a gun for 18 times in the last 12 month. Additional a licensed shooting club has to give the ok for it. After all, the county-police must give the ok.
You won't get s licence for a gun if you have ever have made something against the law. So f.e. if you have ever been cought drunken while driving a car you cannot get a licence. If you have guns, you must give them away.
All this things are no problems for me but it will take about 2 or perhaps 3 month to get all the licences for buying a gun in the requested caliber. Then you have 12 month time to buy exactly such a handgun as requested - nothing else. And additionaly, you need to get the licence for buying the necessary ammonition.

However, I need to wait now and inbetween tomorrow morning 10 a.m. I'll drive to our shooting club and bring some 45acp-bullets out of the barrel. We try to do it silent as you all are sleeping that time. But I cannot promise. One of us is shooting a 454casull /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seems the Python Elite could get the christmes gift from me for me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have a fine Sunday you all and best regards from here

Uwe

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Sorry and congratulations.
Sorry your laws are so restrictive and Congratultions on the Python elite. There are many in this country who for one reason or another (often because of the expense) can not acquire one. The Python in any of it's configurations is considered by MANY to be one of, if not THE the finest revolver in the world.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
350 Euros! That's a great deal! I imagine that you will have no problem obtaining the Colt. Be sure to let us know how your request is progressing.

This forum needs a German with a sense of humor. That .454 Casull is certain to shake me out of the bed.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Hello, Uwe.

Man, what a way to start on your first Colt!
To pay 350 Euros for that is almost stealing that gun.
As you say in Germany: Superbillig!
I paid almost double for mine, it's ten years older and has had a lot more bullets through it then 100 when I bought it.

Very interesting that your gunlaws in Germany are almost the same as in Holland.
I also have to get 18 firering rounds in my paperwork to maintain my license. If I want another gun I have to issue a statement from my gunclub that describes for which discipline I'm going to use it for.

Anyway,

Gratuliere und viel Erfolg!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep - the snake is at its home

Hi Colt enthusiasts !

Although it is not X-mes, theese days are better than X-mes.
I've got my Python Elite as described before.
And the snake is more perfect than expected.
Took a long time getting al the necesarry licences but now its fine.
First matches will start in March - enough time for training with the python. Enough time to show 686 competitors to keep silent when the snake speeks /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Have a fine X-mes time too

Regards from Germany

Pasche

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Re: Yep - the snake is at its home

Hey Pasche;

So you're going to put the hurt on the S&W boys with their 686's. You might just whup 'em bad too. Your new Python must shoot pretty well. I'm a S&W fan but I don't care if you beat out the 686 competitors. I never was much of a fan of the L-Frame. It always looked to much like S&W was copying Colt to me.

Be sure to let us hear when you begin to apply your first whupping to 'em in March.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Yep - the snake is at its home

Hi Bmcgilvray,

I have a S&W too, a 629 Classic Champion, 6 1/2"barrel, 44mag. It is a fantastic gun and I don't say something against S&W revolvers generally. When I was thinking about getting an own 375mag I thought about a L-frame S&W in 357mag. It had made sence cause of the same ergonomic and design like my 629. So you don't have a change when you are shooting matches in both calibers one after another. But although it had made sence my heart decided to get the snake.
But there was another special sence: In Germany most of the 357mag shooters do it with a 686. "Eat shit, millions of flys cannot be wrong" If you are going on a match there is nearly nothing else. And a fried of another shooting club and really good shooter had been on the german mastership match in Munic with a Python. All these 686 shooters couldn't understand how somebody can get on this match with a Colt, some of the 686 people were making jokes on here or were laughing. At the end she was in the middlefield.

I don't say something against the S&W guns but I don't like people wearing their nose up because of nothing more than owning a 686. In my opinion a 686 is nothing special here - but a Python is inbetween. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keeping the flag up for the snake!

Merry Christmas to you and a lucky new year

Pasche

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Welcome, Uwe! You have some nice taste in weaponry. Pythons, Colt 1911s, and Harley-Davidsons, all American. What kind of beer do you like - certainly not American Budweiser? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi BigG,

well, I come from a town called Warstein where one of the worlds biggest breweries "Warsteiner" (www.warsteiner.com) is situated. So perhaps I should drink that kind of beer. But as a lot of people are shooting 686 and I don't do so, I don't drink Warsteiner beer.
I prefer a beer of this area from another little privat brewery called "Hohenfelder" (www.hohenfelder.de). It's something special.

Try to meet the best choice for every thing /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

"Prost"

Pasche

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Prost, Kamerad! Try to make the best choice in everything is a good motto! We get bottled Warsteiner here. It's not bad for an export beer. I miss the draft beer of Germany, though! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Tip from a BEER-lover:

When abroad -don't drink the beer from the great breweries of the country your in. You can get Warsteiner or Bitburger or Heineken or Grolsch you name it in the U.S. Take the opportunity to discover that you drank the worst of the worst. (Why the hell do you think we call it export beer? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

In Germany, Belgium and Holland the art of brewing beer is being kept alive through small independent breweries, run by enthusiast and yes even the monks are still making beer.

If anyone of you guys will ever get the opportunity to visit Amsterdam go to the Arendsnest at the Herengracht.
It's an independent bar that does not serve beer from one of the big breweries but only beers from independent, small breweries. Ever asked for the menu in a bar to order a beer? Because that's exaclty what's going in those kind of bars. And this makes gulping down a brewski a whole other dimension!
They have 150 kinds of beer bottled, 21 kinds draft beer. Don't like beer? Okay, take your pick out of 20 kinds of Gin, 30 kinds of Liquor and if that doesn't help they can offer you 22 Single Malt Whiskeys to choose from. Still nothing to your liking....

Well, you can always ask for a glass of water....

www.arendsnest.nl

1 - 20 of 21 Posts