Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regulating \"fixed\" sights on revolvers....

I have several smaller framed fixed sight revolvers (Both Colt and Smith) that consistantly shoot either slightly left or right of point of aim.

I think I've eliminated ammo and shooting technique as possible culprits. The gun(s) consistantly group usually about an inch and a half to two inches left ( one about 1 1/2 right) at seven yards. Results are repeatable with different shooters both left and right handed as well as with a wide range of ammo.

Let me repeat this isn't a chronic problem with all my small frame revolvers only several very specific pieces. Most of the others are perfectly regulated for windage.

These are mostly J frame Smiths and D frame Colts with fixed front sights and frame notch type rear sights. Is there any practical way to adjust bullet impact to coincide with with the sights?

I don't consider simply bending the front sight to be a suitable option. I don't think I could achieve the amount of offset needed... not to mention how ugly that would be to do that to some otherwise fine guns.

Thanks for any help or input!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
Re: Regulating \"fixed\" sights on revolvers....

The best option is to rotate the barrel.

This MUST be done by a good pistolsmith WITH the correct tooling. Note that MOST local gunsmiths DO NOT have the right tooling and often damage guns using "expedient" tooling.
They often will TELL you they have the right tools, but in fact, don't.

The correct tooling is a special hard plastic or aluminum barrel block, and a special frame wrench with plastic inserts that fit THAT specific make and model of revolver.
Using the old hammer handle-through-the-frame gag is a sure and certain way to destroy a fine gun.

In this method the barrel is rotated slightly to move the front sight in the right direction, which is the OPPOSITE direction you'd move a rear sight.
If the barrel has to be turned to the right, (unscrewed), the barrel MUST be completely refitted, since once it's backed off even slightly, it will tend to unscrew under firing vibration.

This method will leave the front sight canted to one side or the other, but actually it takes very little adjustment to center a group, less than most people think.

For this option, I recommend firing a good test target showing where the gun is grouping, then sending the gun in to the factory or a VERIFIED expert pistolsmith for adjustment.
For S&W, I recommend the factory.
For Colt, the Colt factory (Note that sometimes with newer guns the factories will do this for free), or to:
Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters
1330 Center Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15229
(412) 766-6100

Another adjustment method is to widen the rear sight notch in the direction you need to move.
This is done with a square Swiss needle file with a "safe edge".

You simply file the notch in the direction you need the groups to move.
When you center the front sight in the wider notch, the gun will shoot to target.
Again, this takes less than you might think, and many revolvers rear sight notches are really to narrow anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts

Before trying what dfw suggests, perhaps you might want to make the adjustment that J. Henry Fitz-Gerald ("Fitz"), the famous Colt exhibition shooter and firearms expert, used at shooting matches when Colt owners had the same "point of impact" complaint. "Fitz" would smartly "whack" the barrel on the edge of his wood bench in the appropriate direction to, in effect, bend the frame a tiny bit, thus moving the point of impact as needed. It does not take much. If it worked for "Fitz," it could work for you.

See Page 361 of "The Book of Colt Firearms" for the business card of "FItz" outlining his incredible experience and expertise.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
"Fitz" would smartly "whack" the barrel on the edge of his wood bench in the appropriate direction to, in effect, bend the frame a tiny bit, thus moving the point of impact as needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Judge, you might be a better man than me. I could never bring myself to try and bend the frame on a Colt. I shudder even thinking about trying that. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
Registered
3,936 Posts

William Crites, a gun smith and gun shop propietor in San Antonio, Texas in the 1920's and 1930's used the same technique as Fitz. I've thwacked a few revolvers and obtained the desired results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts