Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reloading since the late 1960's but not a whole lot recently especially with small pistol cartridges.

Are any of you currently reloading for the Colt 32 Short or Long version? If so what bullet or bullet mold do you use and what source? I believe I can make cases from a 32 S&W. I wish to shoot these in an 1892 Marlin lever action and possibly in a Colt New Line that is in good condition.

I made hand sizing and seating dies for my benchrest rifles so I would make similiar ones for the 32 Colt long. I will have to make a set of swagging dies for the 32 S&W cases.

Thanks for any input,
Dennis

·
Registered
223 Posts
I’ve loaded .32 Colt for years. Colt DAs, S&W DAs, Marlin 1892, Ballard #2, Remington #2 Rolling Block, and several British Rook rifles. The British .32 CF is the same as the Colt cartridge. The Marlin and the Ballard have the reversible firing pin so rimfire or center fire.
That said, I was lucky to have found several boxes of Winchester shorts in a pawn shop in rural Kentucky and then bought several boxes of Remington un-primed brass from a friends estate. I have never had to make brass, but if you have the ability to make a swag die then you are well on the way. The S&W is larger than the Colt. Let us know how it works.

For molds, I have Lyman 6 gang molds that cast 93 gr. and 120 gr. bullets. I also use an old Ideal reloading tool that is marked “.32 CF” and casts a heeled bullet. This works well in the rifles I shoot. I also use the Hornaday hollow base, wad cutter 115 gr. in my pistols. Mild load of Unique or Bullseye makes a nice target load. Will not feed in the Marlin.

Hope this helps and warning, it gets addictive dealing with these small cartridges.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I tried it, but the 32 S&W will not work. You might be able to have the gun(s) rechambered to the 32 S&W cartridge and it would be safe to use. The best bullet to use would have a concave or hollow base so that it would expand to fit the larger bore size of the 32 Colt. Good luck!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you said you tried does that mean you tried to swage down the 32 S&W case to match the 32 Colt dimensions or just tried to see if it fit the chamber?

I used to make a lot of wildcat rifle cartridges which required necking down a parent case, never tried swagging the base down but have read of it being done to form certain cases. As soon as I get all the parts together on my Marlin I am going to try it just for grins!

Do not want to rechamber, it would destroy any collector appeal. The rifle is in nice condition.
Dennis

I tried it, but the 32 S&W will not work. You might be able to have the gun(s) rechambered to the 32 S&W cartridge and it would be safe to use. The best bullet to use would have a concave or hollow base so that it would expand to fit the larger bore size of the 32 Colt. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
When you said you tried does that mean you tried to swage down the 32 S&W case to match the 32 Colt dimensions or just tried to see if it fit the chamber?

I cut down the S&W cases to 32 Colt length and then (tried) to swage them down to the 32 Colt diameter. The solid base of the case would not compress enough to allow it to fit the Colt chamber. Somewhere I have 50 (I think) modified cases that I would be happy to send to you to experiment with. If I remember correctly, the cases were about .017" too large.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
As for a bullet mold.....NOE has a couple of "heel" style molds that will work for your 32 Colt cartridges. I use Trail Boss Powder in mine, meters smoothly and fills the case to the base of the bullet.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Project on hold until I get the magazine tube fixed. Might take awhile, can't get the cross pin out!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the info. Project on hold until I get the magazine tube fixed. Might take awhile, can't get the cross pin out!
I have a Colt 1877 d/a (Rainmaker ??) with a 17xxx s/n and found that .32ACP brass fits easily, the rims are slightly undersize, but function without anny trouble, projectiles are 80g round nose solid base with external lube ring ( I moly coat instead of lubing). My gun probably is a made up one as the bbl is stamped 320cal, but has Colt makers name etc. so your bbl may be of different measurement, good luck,d.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a Colt 1877 d/a (Rainmaker ??) with a 17xxx s/n and found that .32ACP brass fits easily, the rims are slightly undersize, but function without anny trouble, projectiles are 80g round nose solid base with external lube ring ( I moly coat instead of lubing). My gun probably is a made up one as the bbl is stamped 320cal, but has Colt makers name etc. so your bbl may be of different measurement, good luck,d.
Thanks for the info. Not sure if the would feed through my Marlin lever action but will try to see if I can find a couple to try. I may have one or to in my box of old cartridges.
Take care,
Dennis

1 - 9 of 9 Posts