Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4" Anaconda in .45 Colt and have been getting varying descriptions of this gun's relative strength to withstand some (not a steady diet by any means) of the hotter loads. Some very knowledgable people have said it is not as strong as the S&W M-25-5 in the same chambering.

As far as lockup goes, I can see a small difference but in strength/size of the frame and the strength of the steel I would have to say it should be as strong or stronger than the Smith.

Anybody have any hotter loads they use in their Anaconda in .45 Colt? If so, please post some of them if you will!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have a 6" 45 Anaconda, and it is built like a tank. You would really have to go out of your way to do damage to one. Not to say it can't happen. Idiots do abound in life.

It tickles me to hear over, and over the Smith & Wesson, and Colt comparison folks that tout one or the other. Both made great revolvers. In this case I have to pull for the Anaconda. Because of its fairly late design, it seems to me to be more robust.

Most guys will send you to the reloading manuals for load info. It keeps us from feeling responsible for a goof, or accident using a load recommended by one of us.

I doubt most of us will ever live long enough to wear out either one.

Darn it, you got a 4" 45 Anaconda. I have been looking for one to go with our 6" 45 forever. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Disclaimer first: I'm no expert. I've heard the exact opposite that you have. Right from the start I heard that the Anaconda is a stronger gun than the Smith M-25. Not knocking the model 25 ( I like it too.).
Like Robba I've been looking for a 4in. .45 Colt Ananconda to go with my 6in. too. I imagine there are alot of people out there that would love to have your revolver. You lucky dog! - That said, I have a box of ammo from Buffalo Bore that is a +P .45 Colt load. There is a warning on the box that says and I quote,* "All heavy .45 Colt +P ammunition is to be fired ONLY in Ruger large frame, Colt Anaconda and Freedom Arms revolvers,T/C, Winchester 94 and Marlin 94. NOT for use in the small frame Ruger Vaquero." *
Does not mention the Smith N frame at ALL. The box info states a 260 JHP at 1450fps. As worried as companies get about product liability these days I think it's a safe bet that the Anaconda is considered very strong. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The Anaconda is as strong as the Ruger. I have seen this in print in some loading manuals. Most manuals don't mention this because the heavy .45 loads first started to come out before the Anaconda hit the market so only the Ruger and the T/C was mentioned.I have ran some of the hot 300 grainers thru my 6 incher with no ill effects (except she really came alive and woke me up). I really have no use for that much horsepower so I have never tried those loads in my 4 incher. The only problem I have ever heard of an Anaconda having is action pins shearing and those were very seldom.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I can't see any major differences either, except that 45 anacondas are really hard to find. M-25's like mine are NOT. I just saw one today, lying unbought on a dealers shelf. At an outrageous price I should add.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have owned a Model 25-5 since 1979 and even back then this question came up with some frequency. It was understood that loads for the S&W M25-5 were to be those of the Model P Colt and not those for Ruger and TC. The M25 is NOT an M29 and should not be made into one.
Ralph

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, guys . . .

I guess there's no real tellin just how stron the Anaconda really is vs some of the others. But if we're talking overall strength I'd have to say the two biggies are the ctlinder and the frame and I believe the Anacondas are tops there (except for the FA and other built-like-a-brick-$%*^[email protected] guns out there and for that we shouold feel really good. I know I do. I guess it's the lockup where the Colt doesn't quite make it to some of the others . . .

·
Registered
106 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The Anaconda is as strong as the Ruger. I have seen this in print in some loading manuals. Most manuals don't mention this because the heavy .45 loads first started to come out before the Anaconda hit the market so only the Ruger and the T/C was mentioned.I have ran some of the hot 300 grainers thru my 6 incher with no ill effects (except she really came alive and woke me up). I really have no use for that much horsepower so I have never tried those loads in my 4 incher. The only problem I have ever heard of an Anaconda having is action pins shearing and those were very seldom.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't bet on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts