Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a longtime shootoer, but have never reloaded, but am seriosly thinking of changing that, because I really can not afford to shoot much any more, based on ammo prices. I have 2 main questions. The first is, can someone tell me, just how much I would be spending, after I buy my equipment, and go find my own brass, per round on just FMJ 9mm, .45 ACP, .40 S&W, and 5.56? Even if I could reload for half, that would be a huge savings over the long haul. Next, can I get away with a basic reloading starter kit, such as Lee or others have, or should I get something a little better, if I can afford it. Once I have the kit, I have the time, so my plan would be to load a couple thousand rounds, in total of the various calibers. If that bit of information helps in guiding me toward a reloading kit. Any information you folks can give me, it will be more than I have. I have always bought my ammo, online for the last decade. Thank You.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The components, excluding brass will run you about .20 per round depending on your bullet choice. I base that on a powder charge of 6 grains, $39/K primers, and $25/lb. powder. It's easy to figure out bullet, primer, and brass price as they are fixed. There are 7000 grains in a pound. You will need to do the math to figure out your cost for a particular load with your particular powder.

For instance, 7000/6grs.=1166 loads per 1lb. can of powder. $25/1166=.021.

As for equipment, you will get many opinions here. Buy the best starter kit you can afford. They will last you forever. Personally I have worn out lots of Lee products. I have never worn out an RCBS product, and their customer service is second to none. Lately I have become fond of Hornady custom grade dies.

Watch places like MidwayUSA for sales. I just received a flyer from them telling me their RCBS starter kits were on sale.

Invest in a couple of good manuals. Lyman is a good resource as they are not the makers of the components so a good cross section of data is provided.

I started reloading on the desk in my college dorm room in 1981 so I could afford to shoot. At present I reload for every centerfire I own except a .30 Luger. It is a great way to spend free time with a great sense of accomplishment when you are done.

Be safe and enjoy it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Besides it is fun to reload it is relaxing. ReloaderHub.com has a nice reloading calculator app for the iphone.

Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Mike but I dont even know enough yet of what to fill in the blocks when it asks for the powder, bullets, primers( I put 1K), brass, etc. Thats how far I have to go.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
You won't be disappointed .
You can load a (blank)-load of amm on an inexpensive modest setup. I have loaded scince the early '70s on a single stage.
No question, it was much cheaper in the old days, but you ought to be able to shoot at least twice as much for the same money as you cough up for factory ammo.
Do your homework and get started.
We will be interested in how it goes for you.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Buy a good Single Stage Press and the Lyman Reloading Manual if starting out. Buy components in bulk if you can (get some buddies to go together on an order). I figure with most calibers I can reload a round for approximately 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of factory ammunition. Reloading is a great way to shoot more for less. It is also a way to get ammunition for some hard to find calibers and tailor your ammunition to the hunting situation. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I started reloading five years ago.... 9mm,45ACP,38SPL, 223 i use the hornady progressive L&L Press and use RCBS dies(i think they are superior)if your going to reload 3-4 different calibers your going to drop close to a grand or more easily.All the misc stuff a Scale,Calipers,good accurate powder drop,funnels,case prep tools,tumbler+media adds up but its worth it to because you will be saving allot of $$$, also keep in mind brass small pistol large pistol and powder are scarce so if you see any jump on it and stock up. I am always getting emails from Midway when stuff becomes available but you have to act right away or its gone.. good luck

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I reload on a progressive but....only use it progressively to Re-size, DE-prime and re-prime, i check all my loads one at a time when i charge them

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Looks like its going to be the RCBS Rockchucker, the starter kit, with the rebate comes out to around $250+/-. I have a Starret Calipers, (and some mics), thats one thing I dont have to buy. Once I get the press set, which should be about 2 weeks, then I have to get the rest of the list. Mark065, I hope it come in less than $1k, but I guess it will be what it is. First dies will be 9mm, since I shoot that and .45 ACP the most. Im getting excited about a new project, especially for the long nights over the winter. What kind of heater is safe for the workshop in the barn, when working with gunpowder, any?? I have an old Kerosene heater I use, but I dont know if you can use them or not. Anyway, thanks for all of your help, I will keep you up to date, and will have questions I'm sure between now and then. Just curious, if I have a progressive some day, BigG, and Mark065, do you not trust them, to not still go back and check each load by hand?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts