Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know this is a bit off-base for the Colt Forum, but I was wondering if anyone around here reloads shotshells using a MEC 600 Jr Mk5? I was thinking of buying one and taking a turn at reloading shotshells. I'm wondering if one can reload brass or steel based hulls with a MEC 600 Jr? I see where MEC says one can reload brass or steel based hulls with their Sizemaster (and up) series presses, but am unsure about the 600 Jr. I sent an email to MEC asking, but thought I'd ask here too. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
I have used the 600 in the past. I think it's a liitle light for the Full Brass or Steel Hulls. JMHO.

·
Premium Member
6,022 Posts
I have loaded thousands of shells with a mec sizemaster and broke the collet sizer ($45 for the part from MEC). For low base hulls, the size master is really not needed. Again, knowing what I know, I would not pay the extra for the sizemaster. My 20 gauge loader is a standard MEC junior. And Yes, both models size brass, steel and aluminum cases but do yourself a favor and load either AA or Remington Premier hulls that have the brass base for smooth operation. Many shotgun clubs sell once fired hulls. Our local club sells 200 AA empties for $8.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks all.

Over the years, my buds and I have shot-up over a ton, literally, of those Federal "Multi-Purpose" value packs of 100 shells in either 12ga or 20ga purchased at Wally-World. They've all pretty much gone to the dumpster after having been shot as we're under the impression that they're not reloadable (steel base ?) and we've always figured that reloading shot-shells isn't really all that economical, unless one shoots way-way more then we do.

Buuut, seeing as how reloading seems to becoming my pass-time of choice, I figure I may as well start reloading shot-shells, economical or otherwise and I wonder if those 1000s and 1000s of cheap-oh Wally World Federals we've thrown out after one use over the years are or aren't reloadable or do I need to step-up to buying the "good stuff" to get reloadable hulls after emptying out their factory charge?

Anyway, I guess the takeaway for me should be to get some "known good" hulls for reloading to start out and gain experience from there. Sound about right?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Reloader

I have 600 presses in 20 and 28 ga and for the 20 ga, must have loaded over 5,000 shells for it with nary a problem. I load Winchester Western hulls and have gotten as many as 5 or 6 loadings out of them, but I'm only loading skeet loads. My suggestion would be to find a load that patterns well in your shotgun and stick with that. You will be better off with either WW or Remington hulls - plenty of re-loading data available for them.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
my 10y will reload hundreds of shells using a MEC and a separate sizemaster which I got because some of the shells were tight fitting after reloading. Get the equipment and enjoy the fun!

flanman

·
Registered
267 Posts
You can do it with the 650 but it will take some arm strength if you do steel hulls. Brass is easy. I use remington STS hulls and have been using the 650 for a few years. It is easy to reload with and fairly foolproof.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my 10y will reload hundreds of shells using a MEC and a separate sizemaster which I got because some of the shells were tight fitting after reloading. Get the equipment and enjoy the fun!

flanman

After more reading, I was thinking of doing just that... maybe... getting started with a MEC 600 Jr Mk5 and a separate MEC Super Sizer... buuuut, the cost of the Jr + Super Sizer puts me past the price of what a MEC Sizemaster would be and the Sizemaster has the same / similar collet resizer as a Super Sizer... BUUUUT, then I read somewhere that even though the Sizemaster has a collet style resizer that sometimes it doesn't resize as well as using a separate Sizemaster. ARGH! :confused:

Besides being confused, I'd hate to drop the coin on a MEC Sizemaster and figure out I need to buy a Super Sizer anyways? :bang_wall:

I want to do some more reading / thinking on this. I guess I'll just stick to the "cheap-o" Wally World Federals for now while I continue to get my knowledge on.

Oh, and I sure wish there was a place local I could buy Remington STSs and give them a try, but I cannot find them. Doesn't seem that Wally World or Big 5 carries them, just cheap stuff, which if fine, but not much help is one is looking for hulls to reload. Guess I'll have to mail order, if / when I get around to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts