Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a picture of spent BP brass from a few weeks ago. When I go to reload it do I have to do anything different than reloading smokeless brass?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Deprime and wash them. Best if done sooner rather than later. I tumble in a Frankford wet tumbler with a dash of Lemi-Shine and Simple Green. Rise and let dry.

I shot these yesterday with black powder. Deprime them this morning and wet tumbled an hour. I'll let dry for a day or so.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I shoot black powder in my 45/70 once in a while and if the brass sits for a week or so after shooting it looks like what's in your picture. I deprime the cases first with a universal deprimer tool and then use water, stainless steel pins, about a teaspoon of dish soap, and about a 1/4 teaspoon of Lemi-Shine in an old rock tumbler. Load it up and come back after a few hours and the cases, including the primer pockets, are nice and shiny on the outside and perfectly clean on the inside. The dirtier the brass the longer I leave it in the tumbler. After they're clean I rinse them off and let them air dry.
If the brass sits too long though before cleaning you can sometimes see actually corrosion on the cases.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I shoot a lot of Holy Black. I take a plastic bottle with a mix of dish detergent and water. After shooting, I drop the spent cases in the bottle, shake often, then when home I remove and rinse. When dry, I deprime and tumble with corncob. Then they can be resized (if needed or in the case of my Sharps this is skipped) then reloaded.
Careful handling your brass, a dead wasp can still stick you. No venom but stinger is likely out.

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
I try to remember to bring a disposable plastic container that sandwich meat is now sold in to the range with soapy water in it. My fired cases go in that at the range. I can even shake them in the containers. At home, I pour them out on a remote spot of the concrete driveway to dry in the sun. When dried, they can be loaded with either smokeless or black for next time but further deterioration is avoided until I get around to loading them.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
The first thing I suggest is that you remove the dead wasp.
Like others have suggested, I deprime and drop mine in a plastic coffee can and the hottest water I can get out of the faucet, ad a squirt or two of dish soap, snap the lid on and shake it. Sometimes I will take and old test tube brush (liberated from school) and give it a twist or two inside the case. Run hot water in the coffee can until it runs clear and not soapy, let them dry on newspaper, tumble in walnut/corncob media and do it all again next week.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I shoot Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter category at our cowboy action shooting matches. That means black powder. Other black powder shooters deprime their brass as soon as they unload and drop into a jar of water and soap. The vibration on the drive home agitates the contents. I wait until I get home and process the cases.

The biggest change in attitude a new black powder shooting has to overcome is using water to clean guns and brass.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
"If the brass sits too long though before cleaning you can sometimes see actually corrosion on the cases. "

How long it sits is key. Too long and the brass isn't worth reloading as the corrosion weaken the cases.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I use a one gallon water jug with a little soap and vinegar mixed in with the water. Drop the cases in the jug at the range, put the cap on, and drive home.

·
Registered
118 Posts
beemermark, Ventorino recommends Windex with vinegar but, like you, I just add a little vinegar. Been doin' it since the jug was a glass Clorox jug.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts