Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know nothing about them except which end the bullet comes out of.
My son is considering a purchase of the same. would a ser# of B6746XXX
be before the safety recall or after? Also, would there be any markings to
I.D. a gun that has undergone the modification?

Thanks for any clarification on this.
oldies

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
I would call Remington customer service, or they may have that information on their website. On a side note, the majority of their employed have been furloughed until after the first of the year. Not good.

·
Administrator
7,290 Posts
Trigger recall guns don't usually go to the Remington location . They have multiple repair stations that handle this . No furlough's at these shops .
We've used this location for many years . Very professional , good work and decent turn around times .
https://williamsgunsight.com/gunsmithing/

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I always shy away from 700's whether the trigger issue is before or after this started. I just don't trust the 700's at all. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I Don't know what is most of the good or bad about them. The one we are checking out shot a
one hole group this morning at 100yds. using Barnes 30-06 168Gr. ammo. Don't know yet how it
would respond to reloads.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
I don't own any Remington 700 rifles. However, my best friend has a few dozen Remington 700s. Every one he shoots seem to be accurate. There are two complaints I have heard over the years. Some don't like the alloy trigger guard and floor plate. There are steel drop in kits to replace these alloy parts. Some feel the extractor is a weak design and prone to breakage. Not sure how much of a problem this really is. In any case, it is my understanding the 700 can be fitted with a stronger Sako extractor fairly easily. I personally don't know anyone that has had a problem with a Remington 700.

·
Registered
9,624 Posts
I own a Remington Model 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag... serial# B6453xxx... built in 1980 and in use by me since then...and it has never gone off with the safety on or without me pulling the trigger.

The Model 700 / Model 7 voluntary recall dates are from May 1st, 2006 thru April 9th, 2014...

Verification of the corrective action under this recall is a punch mark on the bolt release when the trigger group is viewed upside down.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Jeff Cooper who was a big proponent of controlled feed commented about the Remington 700 extractor, but also said that he never had any issues with the 700s he had.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I own a Remington Model 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag... serial# B6453xxx... built in 1980 and in use by me since then...and it has never gone off with the safety on or without me pulling the trigger.

The Model 700 / Model 7 voluntary recall dates are from May 1st, 2006 thru April 9th, 2014...

Verification of the corrective action under this recall is a punch mark on the bolt release when the trigger group is viewed upside down.
The ONLY problem with the older 700 triggers ( Walker ) is that they are too easily adjustable , and every Tom ,Dick & Harry turned themselves into instant triggersmiths. Heck, even the older owners manuals showed which trigger adjustment screw was. Then later manuals just had “ Trigger Group, Restricted Part “
Bubba gunsmiths were easily turning down the sear engagement to the danger zone , and blaming the “ company “ when it goes to crap. The company should have put its foot down and said “ Nope, we’re not liable because this trigger had been messed with “. I always thought that was the purpose of the colored threadlocker , so they could prove someone else monkeyed with it. Instead , they caved and cost them dearly. I know nothing of the “ New & improved “ X Pro triggers.
Properly set, the Walker triggers are very good and are in no way dangerous.
Does anyone know what trigger the 40X has?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
That the trigger was too easily adjustable on the 700, the same could be said about the Winchester Model 70 and Savage 110.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Other than the ultra lightweight barrels on the mountain rifles, I have never known anyone that has complained about the accuracy of their 700 with a standard weight barrel. They just seem to be about as accurate as you can get in a mass produced rifle. That being said, one of my best friends had his go off a couple of times while dropping the bolt. Thankfully he was at the range sighting it in with the muzzle pointed down range. Gun had never been touched by anyone other then to run a patch down the bore to clean it. Believe me, it can happen!

·
Registered
9,624 Posts
Any problems that were found...and litigated...have since been corrected ( ...and paid for ).

Therefore...a new Remington Model 700 with a composite stock should suit your needs both in the field or at the range.

Stop back here after you buy it with a range report...I look forward to your experience.

·
Registered
548 Posts
For years I hunted with a 700. I would always chamber a round when only in the stand and always remove the round from the chamber before getting out of the stand. Several times when removing the round and closing the bolt, the rifle would let the firing pin drop. At that time I did not think to much about it, only that it was odd the rifle would fire. I did not know about the safety issue with the 700 at that time. I did not know why this was happening but I did not feel safe with the rifle so I replaced the trigger / safety group with a aftermarket upgrade trigger / safety. No problems since then.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts