Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to see who read (and liked) the Survivalist series of books by Jerry Ahern. They were published during the 80s and early 90s. Ahern was a knowledgeable gun writer who often had articles in Handguns magazine. He also acquired the rights to produce the old Detonics pistols in the early 2000s. He passed away a few years ago.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I once tried to read one of Ahern's novels, but had to put it down because it was like reading Gun Digest with dialog. Any weapon mentioned--and there were a lot of them--was described in such exhaustive detail that I found it distracting. But I enjoyed Ahern's magazine articles; he was a master at looking fierce in the photos of him brandishing whatever he was pitching that month. I was sorry to hear of his demise; it's yet another reminder that I am not getting any younger myself.

My personal favorite dead survivalist writer is Mel Tappen. But to each their own.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I actually have all of Jerrys survivalist series books. I was missing a few and a good friend of mine, Rob Kibler, knew Jerry and got me the ones I was missing, free of charge, signed. How about that!!!! I was not aware that Jerry had passed away. Im sorry to hear that.

MJC

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, Jerry went into exhaustive detail of the handguns used by main character John Roarke and others in the series. The overall story thru 29 volumes is great pulp fiction though.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I was thirteeen when the first installment was published in 1981. I read the series faithfully until I finished high school and my interest waned. All of his novels (not just the Survialist series) went into great details about the types of firearms being used.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.