Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was a teenager, I first saw these bullets. My Dad had some 180 grain 30 cal. bronze points. He loaded them in 30-06. I always liked the look of those bronze points. He loaded some of those but mainly we used lead soft points. I think the bronze points were rather expensive compared to lead tipped bullets so that's probably why He didn't have many.
I saw some for sale at a gun show and bought them. I loaded up a few yesterday and tried them at the range. They were very accurate.
I am curiuos if anyone here has used the bronze points for deer hunting and what you thought of them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a few that I got in a box of "gun stuff" left over from a farm auction a few years ago. Also 180 grain .308". I haven't loaded any of them yet. I believe that they are still available. I think that I've seen them for sale through MidwayUSA within the past few years for around $40-45/100. A little pricier than I usually pay.

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
The Remington Bronze Point was their version of the Winchester Silvertip. Remington took it a step farther by making their bullet very sharp pointed to retain velocity at long range. Both the Bronze Point and Silvertip act as a wedge in the front of the bullet which when driven back into the bullet causes the jacket to start expanding.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did some research (internet) on them. Some say they "blow up" without penetrating much Others say they go through the deer without expanding,others say they are a fine bullet that penetrates and expands real well.
I guess the only way to know for sure how they work is to use them.
One comment was that these bullets have a certain range of velocity where they work well but if the velocity is less,they just punch a small hole in the deer. If velocity is too high,they blow apart with very little penetration .But,if velocity is within the right limits,they work fine. I think velocity out of my 30-06 will be around 2400 fps but I am not positive about that.

I figured I'd ask here just to see if anyone here has actually shot any deer with them. Thanks for your comments

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
When I was a teenager, I first saw these bullets. My Dad had some 180 grain 30 cal. bronze points. He loaded them in 30-06. I always liked the look of those bronze points. He loaded some of those but mainly we used lead soft points. I think the bronze points were rather expensive compared to lead tipped bullets so that's probably why He didn't have many.
I saw some for sale at a gun show and bought them. I loaded up a few yesterday and tried them at the range. They were very accurate.
I am curiuos if anyone here has used the bronze points for deer hunting and what you thought of them.
I just wonder why people don't tell where they are deer hunting? In the woods? In the swamp? On the wild west plains? Different guns and loads work for different areas.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just wonder why people don't tell where they are deer hunting? In the woods? In the swamp? On the wild west plains? Different guns and loads work for different areas.
I hunt in the mountains of Pa. (in the woods). shots can be from say 25 yards to 100 yards .Rarely are shots over 100 yards but once in awhile(seldom) may get up to a 200 yard shot. Most shots have been under a hundred yards. Could use a round point,or a spitzer or a flat point or about anything I want as I dont try to shoot through brush. Most shots have to be taken finding an opening through any twigs,briars,low brush,grapevines etc.. If you hit a tiny twig you can and will deflect most any bullet but less with a flat or round point.The key is DONT hit any briars,twigs etc..

I am wondering if anyone here has shot a deer(s) with the bronze points 180 grain bullet 30 cal. (or150 or 165 grain). and what were the results. Assume somewhere between 25 to 200 yard max distance.

·
Registered
519 Posts
When I was a teenager, I first saw these bullets. My Dad had some 180 grain 30 cal. bronze points. He loaded them in 30-06. I think the bronze points were rather expensive compared to lead tipped bullets so that's probably why He didn't have many. I am curiuos if anyone here has used the bronze points for deer hunting and what you thought of them.
I remember using those when I started deer hunting, I still have half a box (150 gr.). I liked them because at the time, I would always carry extras in my pockets in case I would lose my mag in the snow...etc, as the points would not get easily damaged as a soft point. I also carried a few Accelerator (55 gr.) don't know if you remember those. I still have a bullet retreived from a deer, it has a nice mushroom shape but I am not sure if it is a Bronze point because I also used CoreLockt at one point.
(late 80's)

I checked the price on the box and the difference Bronze point and Winchester Silvertip was around 50 cents.

At the time I was hunting alot on Anticosti Island where deers and moose were encountered in deep woods, beaches, long fields etc. but I always prefered wooded areas.
OK

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I used them in Texas for one season and one season only. I had much the same resultant issue that capstan unearthed.

I purposely used many different rifles, different calibers and different hand-loaded ammunition in a 12 year long experiment, of sorts, to learn what rifle/caliber combo worked the best for me on whitetail and mule deer over the years. With most every caliber Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets worked the best. Expansion, weight retention and penetration were exemplary!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.