·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
--

·
Registered
147 Posts
The one I looked at had a sharp corner on the grip panel that cut into my hand. Those would last maybe 5 minutes before I put something else on the gun.

Jim

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I have one and think highly of the gun for the money. But if The Ruger 1911 had been available at the same time...I would have bought that one instead. I bought it specifically to practice working on a 1911 so I was mainly buying on price. It's no Colt!

According to the manufacturer...the frame is not cast.

THE ALL-NEW REMINGTON® MODEL 1911 R1
The accuracy and reliability that have made the 1911 an American icon now shine brighter than ever. Features include a crisp trigger, dovetailed front and rear sights, precision-machined slide and frame, and available fine-checkered American walnut grips.

·
Registered
665 Posts
the frame is first cast, then machined...

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
You are correct...my apologies. I was basing this off my looking at the frame in my hand. I have many cast framed Colt Mustangs that fit the OP's cast description but there is nothing about my R1 frame that even remotely resembles those cast frames. Again...it's not a Colt but then again...I haven't bought a new Colt lately for $589.00 either. ;)

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I looked at the R1 and the sharp corners on the grip panels just didn't feel comfortable and I suspect unless I was wearing shooting gloves I might have an issue. I went with the Springfiled Armory Champion GI model and really was impressed with the fit and function. Have put about 500 rounds through it without any FTF or FTE and my only complaint would be that the low profile sights take a little getting used to. SA had a "special" when you purchased the weapon and if you filled out the card they sent 2 extra magazines and an Otis cleaning "system" gratis. Now granted I don't use the Otis but it goes into the range bag "just in case I need to run a patch down the chute" kind of situation.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Still playing with mine.... the wife commandeered it so I am dressing it up for her.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The major parts for the R1 are MIM (metal Injection Molded) by a company in India called INDO-MIM............

I think you can by most replacement parts in Seven Eleven stores, Gas stations....and other convienence stores.

Some may like them, but I wouldn't have one.........I don't agree with remington's and FGI's business ethic, or methodoligies re: manufacturing firearms.

Tom

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not saying everything negative about big green. However, the choices for .45 ACP pistols are abundant, and the R-1 WOULD NOT EVEN MAKE MY TOP 20 picks.

Reactions: Tomray

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
I have only one Mod O type gun, a Series 70. Since I really like Colts I wouldn't be inclined to buy another brand even if it was a better gun and a cheaper gun. If I buy another, it will be another Colt.

However, in general I am happy to see Remington making and/or marketing a handgun after so many decades without one in their line. I would have preferred they start making their slick Mod 51 in 32acp or .380acp again but it would probably cost too much to reproduce the Mod 51 today.

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
However, in general I am happy to see Remington making and/or marketing a handgun after so many decades without one in their line. I would have preferred they start making their slick Mod 51 in 32acp or .380acp again but it would probably cost too much to reproduce the Mod 51 today.
+1 -- Would love to see Remington making these slick pocket pistols again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts