Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to a Remington Factory rep last Friday. He was looking for directions outside Huntsville, Texas. I ask the question and he stated that the factory reps had held one but had not as yet fired one. He stated that the FR's didn't have sales samples as yet but they expected the 9MM's to be in stores late March early April. 4 months after that the 9's with the Crimson Trace will be out. Same timing sequence will then occur for the 40's.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
At the Great Outdoors show in Harrisburg, PA. I stopped at the Remington booth and talked with some company reps. They expect a 40 Cal. model to be released in about a half a year.
They had 6 R 51s on display. 3 had Crimson Trace grips. I liked the gun but I wasn't impressed with the trigger pull. The gun has a true internal hammer but the trigger pull made it feel like a striker fired semi auto with a plastic frame. Since it does have a traditional hammer, the trigger pull may improve as the gun is fired and used.
I also called the Remington customer service number a few weeks back. The person handling the call had no knowledge at all about a 40 cal. model. He added the bosses didn't even make an anouncement about the R 51 to the customer service staff. So I would take anything they say with a grain of salt, at this time.

I am very happy I got to handle one. It's a nice pistol and it should be a good alternative for shooters who hate plastic frame guns. I was planning on ordering a 40 cal, but now I'm not so sure.
I have a ton of modern carry guns to include HK, Glock, SIG, plus all my 50 + year old 38 Special snubbys. I really don't need another carry gun.

Now I'm thinking I would enjoy an original Remington Mod 51 in .380 a lot more than the new offering. I have tentatively started to look for one.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trigger Starting pistol Revolver
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel
[

[QUOTE}Now I'm thinking I would enjoy an original Remington Mod 51 in .380 a lot more than the new offering. I have tentatively started to look for one.[/QUOTE]
I have a pair of the originals and I really like them for CC. They are thinner than the Colt 1903/1908 and the ergonomics also make more naturally pintable. The axis of the bore to frame being lower allows for a straight back recoil and quicker recovery.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
When I was home a couple of weeks ago, I stopped at my LGS and asked if he had heard of the new Remington and he said no. I asked him to get me onw ASAP and would buy immediatelly. He called his Distributor while I was there and the Distributor was aware of them, but was not sure when they wouold be avialable. I have one on order and told him to call me as as they arrived.

Although I like the lines of the original, I still like the new one too. Sounds like the Trigger pUll will need a little work before I start using it, LOL! Thats OK, I can do this work!

Thanks for the update on the pistol!!!

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I really like the R51. It looks to have a lot of R&D behind it. I plan on getting one down the road eventually.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Colt should take a long hard look at this pistol . a Colt version of the 1908 in 9mm and 40, with same firing mechanism ,would fill a real market niche for them /as an aside Remington is shifting production to Alabama, taking 2000 plus jobs out of antigun New York I think gunmakers should go a step further ,not sellng to police in Assault Weapon restrictive states ,not servicing products to them or selling parts ,and magazines greater than 10 rounds. The best response to a slap in the face is a left hook

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I saw one at the Gander Mountain in Merriville, IN - by Southlake Mall today. I believe the price tag was just over $500.00 - I also read somewhere that it tends to tear up your hand. I don't remember where I read this, but it might have been in the NRA Rifleman.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I am home this weekend and stopped at my LGS yesterday to check on the one I have on order. It has not arrived yet, but the owner said it is on order from his distributor. As soon as it it arrives, he will call me. Since the early one are having a few problems, maybe this is good. I certainly don't need one, but I want one, LOL!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.