Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just at a local gun store and they have a Remington-Rand 1911A1 listed on Gunbroker right now. I'm no expert on 1911s but I looked it over. They purchased it from an estate representative for a vet who owned it and carried it when serving (what era I don't know). It's nicer looking than the photos show on Gunbroker...they believe it to be all correct but they're not experts on them either.

One thing I noticed is the magazine in the pistol...it's a two-tone and pinned magazine which I believe is more valuable than a standard 1911 mag. Again...I'm not an expert on that...just what I remember from discussion here on the Forum.

For anyone interested the Gunbroker page is http://www.gunbroker.com/item/712709205.

Reactions: Recusant and ei8ht

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Perhaps it's just the light in the photographs, but the serial number isn't very clear...
If the serial number has not been messed with, it dates to the second run of guns from 1943. In March 1943 Rand himself stopped the production line to address interchangeability issues with parts and did not restart the line until May 1943. The gun has the line missing from the NO in front of the serial number which is correct for guns that were in the post restart serial number range. It has the correct grips with thin circles around the grip screw areas. It has the correct FJA ordnance inspector mark along with the ordnance dept. inspector stamp on the right rear of the slide. It has the correct type III slide as well. Hard to tell on the small parts but slide stop seems correct and it should have a HS high standard barrel which was the most common for 1943. Overall I would say it is legit. But one would want to examine the thumb safety and hammer and other small parts to determine correctness. I suspect the price will move up considerably over the next couple of days. Correct slide stop looks like the one in the GB pictures but hard to say definitively.

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. All the stamps and markings looked okay, it was just that I couldn't make out the serial number.

I enlarged the GB photo, and the slide stop is serrated. As far as I can tell, everything else looks good, although I'd like to see some more close-ups.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Production dates to November/December of 1943. Serial number is correctly applied after finish. The USP, model designation and NO. were applied before finish while the serial number was applied after finish, as was the acceptance mark.

This is a good example of a Remington Rand showing the serial number applied after finish.

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think someone got a very fair deal...I told them I thought they would get at least $1200 but I wouldn't have been surprised for it to have received more than they did.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts