Colt Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
When was the safe made, it looks vintage. If you've done due diligence by calling 8 or 10 vintage safe experts, and they can't refurbish the lock, did you ask them about replacing it? Basically, the lock and handle could be converted to a new handle and lock most likely. I have a vintage safe and was told by experts they are NOT secure at all compared to modern.

Otherwise, Maybe use it for a decorator safe or have a safe expert kludge something cosmetic that will close, maybe adding a padlock too. Old safes are not very secure really, they're more for looks. Even new safes can be entered in about 10 minutes of work.
It will not be used for valuables. I can't get a clear answer from anyone (some don't answer the phone at all).. about replacing it with a new dial. Not absolutely sure its even possible to do so.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have had a few old locks apart and it seems like it could be repaired. They are not extremely complicated. You can easily make a nice replacement handle with a lathe. If being stiff is the only problem it should be able to be repaired.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Bump! Still can't find a local locksmith that's willing to tackle this lock!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Have you taken it apart to see just what is wrong with it. They are not extremely complicated and usually quite robust so that repair should be able to be made. I am not a locksmith but I have taken a few safe combination locks apart to clean them and they are pretty straight forwards. Try someone other then a locksmith with good mechanical skills.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Locate a military installation, recruiting office or other such government facility in your closer city. Call them and ask for the individual or department perhaps maintenance folks who are responsible for safe issues. Be sure you explain you are not a vendor or salesperson. Every government office has a safe of some sort. The larger ones will have older ones. They will have a phone number for a government approved vendor to call when a safe gets sick, angry or suffers operator error. Be nice, speak with a smile when you tell why you need help without telling them how to build the watch. If no joy on military try your local police, court or tax office. The post office larger hubs have safes, they might share info. GSA approved vendors will be required to have some sort of qualification and would have had to jump through a couple of hoops to achieve the GSA credentials including D&B listing. I am retired Navy, the base had a locksmith under contract the entire base used. He was needed frequently on station for a wide range of old, new, abused, wore out and all other sorts of human, environmental and stuff that needed a lock doc. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
BTT! I've tried it all, folks! There has to be at least ONE lock assembly for these out there! I've read that many of these safes were manufactured for our HUGE government in and around the 1940's-1950's.....

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
BTT! I've tried it all, folks! There has to be at least ONE lock assembly for these out there! I've read that many of these safes were manufactured for our HUGE government in and around the 1940's-1950's.....

It's been a YEAR that you've been hunting for a replacement lock. You say you've tried it all and can't find a locksmith. I'd trash it.

My Canon safe combo started acting up the past month, I called a locksmith. He came out the next day, replaced the lock.

DONE.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

It's been a YEAR that you've been hunting for a replacement lock. You say you've tried it all and can't find a locksmith. I'd trash it.

My Canon safe combo started acting up the past month, I called a locksmith. He came out the next day, replaced the lock.

DONE.
I'd love to but this lock assembly is All-In-One, meaning that the lever and the dial are all part of each other.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Looks like the only possibility. This safe has a unique lock/dial with the handle built in-so to speak. Not sure how difficult it will be to find something like that. S&G was absolutely no help.
I haven't read each post on this thread so this may have already been suggested. I just did a quick Google search for 'lock collector forums'. There looks to be some groups/organizations/clubs/etc out there for folks who are into locks. Might be worth a look to see if that presents any as yet unexplored avenues for you.

Good Luck!

Bob

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I doubt it's all-in-one construction - these were 'office safes', not 'serious safes', and a Sargent lock isn't a high-quality one, so if they built it, then 'someone' can take it apart.

Incidentally, no military installation will refer you to their locksmith - that question will cause their eyes to bug out, your number saved, and likely a visit from the Security Manager, or someone with even less of a sense of humor.

Just look for the oldest one in your city - or the adjoining larger city - Remington-Rand supplied a lot of office furniture, including file cabinets and credenzas, so 'someone' worked on them.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I doubt it's all-in-one construction - these were 'office safes', not 'serious safes', and a Sargent lock isn't a high-quality one, so if they built it, then 'someone' can take it apart.

Incidentally, no military installation will refer you to their locksmith - that question will cause their eyes to bug out, your number saved, and likely a visit from the Security Manager, or someone with even less of a sense of humor.

Just look for the oldest one in your city - or the adjoining larger city - Remington-Rand supplied a lot of office furniture, including file cabinets and credenzas, so 'someone' worked on them.
Not much to go on, in these parts!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts