Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
JP didn't have to sell me a set of large ring reinforcing rib Coltwoods for my 1942 M1911A1. I happen to have had an extra set.
But, he did have to persuade me not to keep the set of small ring hollow backs that came on the pistol! :) Actually, he didn't type a word. he merely ignored me trying to convince myself that the pistol may have come with earlier pattern stocks!

Colt stopped using the small ring hollow backs around SN 795,000. My pistol is SN 807613, approx. 12,000 units too late.

But, I agree he's a great guy and with a huge acumen of firearms knowledge. A very valuable member to have here.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
...Colt stopped using the small ring hollow backs around SN 795,000. My pistol is SN 807613, approx. 12,000 units too late....
Colt continued to use small ring hollow back stocks right up to the 799xxx serial range. I don't recall examining any Colts in the 801xxx-802xxx range, so I'm not sure if they continued that far. I have examined multiple 798xxx range Colts, however.

The large ring, hollow backs were widely used, I believe, between 801xxx-821xxx. Clawson actually showed one in his book on p. 293 with a much earlier number (778234) with one transition wide ring, hollow back stock...but I'm confident that was an exception to the rule, at best. By the way, I acquired that pistol from him when I purchased most of his collection.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I have never found the large ring hollow back to be that common, and have yet to find an original pistol with them.
My experience has been different. Most original pistols I've found in the serial range I specified have had the wide ring hollow backs. I have two in the 807xxx range, an 808xxx, an 814xxx and an 816xxx and show them on my site. I've seen very few original pistols between 801-821xxx without them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts