Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, we ask this question a thousand times..........What is the fair market value of a 90% condition Remington Rand 1911A1?
My friend is looking at one and brought it to me to check out for him. I disassembled it and looked at everything on the "coolgunsite" web page. It totally checks out as a 1943 built RR with a Flannery Bolt Co. barrel and a "Little" built mag. The person selling it wants $1500. Is that a fair price or too much? I personally know revolvers better than semi-autos.
Thank you for your help;
Mike

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The finish of the frame and slide is "rough" metal surface with a blue tint. It is not parkerized. The small pieces are finished a little better than the frame. I forgot to mention that there is a crossed cannons in a circle mark behind the grip panel on the right side. There are no other arsonal initials or marks anywhere else on the gun. Does this mean it was inspected at an arsonal but not rebuilt? Does that affect the value?
Thank you;
Mike

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The crossed cannon cartouche is standard for a RR. What is the serial number (feel free to "X"-out the last couple digits if you want.) Early RR pistols had a dulite finish over a sandblasted surface... this pistol may be one of those. If this is a type I RR, then the price is great... if a type II, it might still be a fair price. If it is the most common type III, then the price is probably a little high. Any chance of posting photos??

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I should have given the serial number the first time.....942XXX. It should be an early one? It does look like a sandblasted finish. I don't have a good enough camera for pictures.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, only this one is stamped more clearly and in the same position on the frame. Thank you for the picture.
Mike

·
Registered
275 Posts
Mike, you have a chance to buy a highly "collectable" RR. It will be finished in
what is called "Dulite", if the finish is orginal, it will have a "blue" tint. The barrel should have
either a "S-P" or "H-S' marked on the lugs. The grips should not have the ring around
the grip screw. You need to p/u this pistol ASAP. $1500 is a "steal". If you got
other questions, just drop me a PM

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
That serial number is a type II Remington Rand, and as mentioned by Waltherman, it is quite collectable - if all original. I second the sentiment of grabbing the pistol ASAP...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I don't know how accurate the information is on the "CoolGunSite.com" web site but that is where I have been looking.
The first listing of serial numbers for Remington Rand is; 916405-1041404 (1942-1943)
This statement was made about barrels; Note: Flannery Bolt Co. barrels were first used in 1943 for field service but some were allotted to
Remington Rand and Ithaca in 1944 and 1945 for their production needs.

This statement was made about grip panels; Keyes Fiber grips used on "EARLY" Remington Rands and Ithacas (No reinforcement rings)
But they also said; Remington Rand, US&S and Ithaca grips. Made by Keyes Fiber (With Reinforcement rings)

So my question to the experts; is this an early RR with a later barrel and grip panels?
I am not buying this pistol my friend is and he just wants to be sure that he is getting what he is paying for.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes, the barrel is from a later time frame. Only the Keyes grips without the reinforcement ring
would be correct. Both items(barrel and early Keyes grips) are not hard to find. If the finish is original
it is a great buy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts