Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

What is the best way to remove this solid pin without harming the bluing on the frame, and the pin? I have several roll pin punches and a .040 cup pin. The roll pin doesn't seem like the right tool for the job and the cup pin seems too small. I have some nylon front sight punches that I am thinking about filing down to a diameter that might work against the round head on this pin and probably won't affect the bluing on either the slide or the pin (if the operator messes up). Once I get the pin started and recessed into slide, I can then use the cup pin. Other that that, I am not sure how best to proceed.

Advise appreciated.

·
Registered
8,622 Posts
It can be somewhat of a chore. I replaced the roll pin in my SM ACE with a solid pin. I think the pin is 1/16" or a bit larger in diameter. I think that a cupped pin of the correct diameter is the best option.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ken, thank you. Yes, I just checked and the diameter is 1/16". I will first see if I can carve the end of the nylon sight punch. If that doesn't work, I will order a larger diameter cup pin.

WoodSmith, thank you. The style of pin on the Python rear sight is a "roll pin" and Dfarriswheel's instructions are specific to it. This vintage of Gold Cup used a solid pin with a polished and blued rounded ends.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,438 Posts
It's very much "touchy work" but I used to modify standard pin punches by using a small Dremel carbide bit to cut a slightly concave depression on the end of the punch.

That makes a solid round end pin punch that won't dink up the pin.

To prevent damaging the slide around the pin hole, you just have to have the slide on a solid no move-no bounce surface and be really careful.
One trick when installing a new pin is to use a much larger diameter brass drift to push the pin almost all the way in.
This prevents slipping off the pin and dinking the slide. Finish installation with the correct size punch.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you dfariswheel for the reply. I like the idea of a much larger pin (or tool) to get the pin started when installing. I am going to try the nylon sight drift punch first, as I don't have a brass drift punch. Before I got started with this, I had a feeling it would be tricky.

Thanks again everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.