Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Colt Official Police with the letters PLCB stamped in the butt of the frame. I assume means Pennsylvania Liqour Control Board. Anyway I always strip guns to clean them throughly, but am way more accustomed to Smith and Wessons. I am trying to remove the extractor rod from the crane. I can get it all the way down to removing the star and it looks like a collar in the barrel of the crane...with two slots in to turn out. Question? what is the name of the tool to remove this collar? and is it right or left hand thread? Am I correct in how am proceding to remove this extractor rod? I have two dective specials and a Colt Trooper MKIII. So this isn't my first Colt.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! Go to Brownell's website,and the tool(s) you need are in there. By saying "tools",you should ALSO have a special wrench to remove the ejector star from the rod;pliers can 'ruin it".

While I too,'strip" my new aquisitions,both Colts/S&Ws,I rarely find it necessary to strip down the Colt cylinder assembly,as a "shot of spray crud remover" will usually flush out any dirt. Dry,followed by a light lube. Compared to S&Ws,that are prone to have ejector rods loosen,tying up gun,Colt is pretty fool proof.

Besides,you will have to line the ejector star EXACTLY as it was marked; thats where that "wrench" is also very "handy"!

Best of Luck.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
The secret is to search on "crane". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=712&title=COLT+CRANE+BUSHING+TOOL
Be advised that the little projections that fit in the slots are very little and not very strong. If the bushing is very tight, they will just break off. If you must remove it, you may wish to soak it in a penetrating fluid such as Kroil first. As Bud says, you can usually flush and lube very successfully without removal. Coincidentally, the situation where you might feel you really need to remove it to clean is likely the situation where the bushing won't budge. A 6-point 10mm socket has worked well for me as a star/ratchet wrench, but I'm waiting for Dfariswheel to admonish me on that one. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,696 Posts
The tool you'll need is a Colt Crane Bushing Wrench from Brownell's:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=712&s=2894

You really should also have the Kuhnhausen book "The Colt Double Action Revolvers: A Shop Manual, Volume One", also from Brownell's.

This book shows the correct methods of disassembling the cylinders, both old and new style.

You really should have a special ejector wrench to unscrew and install the ejector to prevent damaging the assembly.

You can make this yourself, from the picture in the book.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the replies. The star came off rather easily. I hate to admit here that the only reason I feel a "need" now to get this apart is because in my ignorance I already scarred the rod, thinking is screwed out like on the Trooper. I have a clean replacement already I ordered from www.poppertsgunparts.com. The scarred one still works fine, there is no binding or anything, mainly cosmetic. I saw on another post about the book, and that sounds exactly what I should order before messing up the "new" rod. I will also get that tool(s) from Brownells. I don't seem to have good luck using their search field but you guys set me on the right track. I appreciate the help, I really wish I had a real life mentor.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
There is a "later" (read newer) cylinder/crane assembly used in the D frames that has a screw-out ejector rod like the MkIIs and small frames. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts