Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an OMM in 22LR for some affordable plinking. When I removed it from the shipping package I noticed rust had formed behind the crane, along the sights and under the grips. I was able to clean most of the rust off but I was wondering if I should remove the side plate to clean up the internals? I've never worked on a revolver before and I'm not sure if I should go playing around in there.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Not on a Colt, I wouldn't.
If you suspect heavy internal rust I would send it back to Colt or to a Colt qualified (very few exist) gunsmith for repair and/or re-finishing.
If the action is smooth and appears to be ok, I would just oil it good and shoot it since it is only going to be a plinker anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
Premium Member
9,700 Posts
I doubt that there is rust under the side plate, since that area ususally has an excess of lubricant.

However, do not be afraid to take off the side plate. It is not black magic under there, just some parts that are easy to remove and replace. If you take off the side plate, do so by striking the butt sharply (with stocks off) with a plastic or wood screwdriver handle until the side plate vibrates loose. (Do not pry it off.) You can then see whether there is rust under it, and can clean out any old hardened lubricant with solvent without removing any parts. Just be careful not to lose the tiny spring and plunger in the cylinder latch thumb piece, since they will be free once the side plate is off. In reinstalling the side plate, be sure the cylinder latch thumb piece is properly back on the cylinder latch stud.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts