Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am the second owner of a 1988 nickel plated Delta Elite, but it has some light swirl scratches in the finish. Is this something I can work out with Flitz or similar polishes or are swirls a permanent flaw? The swirls aren't horrible, it just looks like it was over polished or cleaned with a non-microfiber cloth at some point. It also has some blemishing near the ejection port that I know I can't do much with, but I would love to get her back to mirror finish!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,441 Posts
Just remember, in order to "remove" scratches and the swirl marks you have to remove a layer of the plating.
Rub a little too hard or too much and you can literally polish right through the finish.

ALL metal polishes are abrasive, and "removing" scratches from nickel is like sanding scratches out of car paint. You have to remove paint or in this case nickel until you get to the bottom of the scratch.
You can do many years of damage to the finish with one inappropriate use of metal polish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.