Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just got my hands on some Renaissance wax. Took a little while to track it down. I plan on using it on some NIB blued Pythons and a model 29 Smith. How do you guys apply it.. soft cloth, or it it OK/safe to use your fingers? How hard do you work it in, and what do you finish polishing it with? Will this protect my guns, or should I still occasionally wipe them down with oil or a silicone cloth? I keep them in silicone pistol socks. Sorry for so many questions, but I know a lot of people on this forum swear by this product.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have used different waxes for years to protect finish. Recently got/used some Renaissance wax and seems to work really well. I apply with soft cloth and don't really work it in too hard. Found by experience that letting it dry completely before wiping off seems to work best.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I guess we are all different. I always use my finger to apply the wax and I don't let it dry completely before I wipe it off. If I let it dry competely, it is much harder to remove.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I often use my finger to apply it but there is always something in my head that tells me my finger shouldn't touch the metal of my firearm. A side note also is if you leave some Ren Wax behind and it dries, don't try to remove it revitalize it with some fresh wax and it easily comes off. This is much easier than trying to buff the dried wax off.

We use microfiber rags that we purchase at auto parts stores. I like to launder them before their first use so they are nice and soft.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I use Marc's method, finger application (ok sometimes I use a swab but still), I get coverage then use my microfiber to wipe/buff off. The stuff is A++ and is used my many members. Good stuff and a little goes a long way. Well worth the price. I used to get the 2oz (I think) can, finally got a deal on the large 200ML can and I have yet to crack open. Have a few smaller ones to use up. I buy in bulk ;)

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
The instructions say it all - use sparingly, buff gently.

I use Marc's method also, fingertip application, thoroughly covering the area, small amounts at a time and buff with a good microfiber cloth. And like Jeff, a small can goes a long way!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well I guess that settles that!

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I use a soft cloth, thin wax coat and let it dry before buffing. Bare fingers? No. Mixing the corrosive acidic oils and moisture of my skin with the wax and taking the chance of the wax sealing it against the metal I'm trying to protect seems counter intuitive to me.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the great replies so far. Is the wax the only protectant I will need other then the normal lubricants? After a trip to the range and they are cleaned, I wipe them down with a silicone cloth before I store them in their silicone socks.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Thanks for all the great replies so far. Is the wax the only protectant I will need other then the normal lubricants? After a trip to the range and they are cleaned, I wipe them down with a silicone cloth before I store them in their silicone socks.
Yep that sounds right to me, just put that 4" in storage in a gun sock then in a bubble envelope and pulled my 6" out of storage after a year looks just like it did when i put it away just needed a quick wipe down

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gatewayad, don't you want the sock to have air circulation around it? Why the bubble mailer?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just wanted to point out that I recently discovered this product also, but it is readily available on Amazon in the 200 ml size for around $10-15.

Reactions: SnakeGunner

·
Premium Member
7,790 Posts
i see that many apply Renn wax with your fingertip. I too switched from using a cloth to using my fingertip last year. Like Marc, something about touching gun metal registers as not a good idea, but my results have been better and I waste much less wax too. I hypothesize that the body heat from my finger... ( I hope you mobster types are using your OWN finger to apply.. :) ) keeps the wax from hardening and it goes on better. As we know, once it has dried thoroughly, it doesn't buff out easily. For the questions about oil for added protection. Any internal parts, bore, chambers you can protect with grease or oil, but the wax doesn't stay on I don't believe, if oil is applied over it. Not gonna probably matter, just will have oil in some spots and wax on the dry spots.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any idea how long before the wax dries? I was planning on doing the whole gun and then let it set 5 min, before wiping it down.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
gatewayad, don't you want the sock to have air circulation around it? Why the bubble mailer?
they stack nice and are well protected and in a climate controlled safe, I asked that a year ago here consensus was "shouldn't have any issues". Anyway I rotate them out every year or so so they are not going to stay in there a long time whether I shoot them or not.
I have a combat elite in there that has not been touched since 2012, gonna rotate her out soon I'll let you know how she looks, if the 6" Python was any indication it should look like the day i locked her up all nice and lubed up inside and dry and shiny on the outside :)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
they stack nice and are well protected and in a climate controlled safe, I asked that a year ago here consensus was "shouldn't have any issues". Anyway I rotate them out every year or so so they are not going to stay in there a long time whether I shoot them or not.
I have a combat elite in there that has not been touched since 2012, gonna rotate her out soon I'll let you know how she looks, if the 6" Python was any indication it should look like the day i locked her up all nice and lubed up inside and dry and shiny on the outside :)
OK that makes sense..you had me worried. Nice avatar LOL.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts