Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations on a gunsmith for my Colt 1877 Lightning 38? It works fine as a SA where I pull the hammer all the way back but not as a DA. I phoned a couple of locals and as soon as I said 1877 LIghtning they were booked up.
I don't mind shipping it off as long as whoever does a good job and I get it back.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Paul Persinger 9158217541 Has repaired a coule of 1877's for me.

Jim Howat

·
Registered
884 Posts
I was searching for a spring kit for my 1877 Thunderer to save it from wearing out the original springs and came up with this. Good quick read if you want to know a little more about the workings of these guns.

Someone on Coltforum said only fire them double action and they will last just fine. I don't see why Wes Hardin and Billy the Kid would use them if they were as bad as people say.

Working the 1877 Colt Thunderer

·
Registered
65 Posts

:) Trust me the 1877s have earned their infamous reputation. But what the heck??

They are an iron jig saw puzzle. I've been tinkering around with mine since January. Whenever I can find the time.:rolleyes:

Working Colt’s Model 1877 Double-Action Revolvers

The disassembly is not that difficult. Chicoine outlines that part rather well. It's the "Reassemble the revolver in the reverse order of the above" line at the end... that is when the real "fun" starts.

As far as replacement parts both original and manufactured below is a listing of the ones I have been in contact with. Since I've spent a bit of time on this little project I though I might save some else a little research.

http://www.poppertsgunparts.com/

Popperts is a good place to obtain the springs.

Jack First Gunshop - First in Gun Parts - Rapid City, South Dakota

I ordered a Hand, Sear, and Cylinder Stop from Jack First Gun Shop in Rapid City, South Dakota via telephone on Monday. The parts arrived Wednesday afternoon.

Colt 1877 Double Action Revolver

Coltparts.com will has hammers available. Their price is also available upon request. That's P.O.R. on their listings.:rolleyes:

Colt Pistol Parts

Wisner has some parts.

Colt Gun Parts ,Bob's Gun Shop

Bob's Gun Shop has a listing.

Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

Numrich also has a listing.

I didn't mention prices. It's not cheap.:eek:

If you decide to do the work your self good luck. I've put together some notes and pictures that might be of help. Let me know if you're interested.

I'd go with David Chicoine's recommendation about not firing this thing. Get yourself a Cimarron Lightning. But I have a feeling I might just find myself hauling this old gal off to the range one day despite all that.

·
Registered
301 Posts
colt 1877 lightning

Any recommendations on a gunsmith for my Colt 1877 Lightning 38? It works fine as a SA where I pull the hammer all the way back but not as a DA. I phoned a couple of locals and as soon as I said 1877 LIghtning they were booked up.
I don't mind shipping it off as long as whoever does a good job and I get it back.

Hey Tony,

You ever find a place worthy of a repair. I just bought on of thesde while on a road trip in Neb. It is all original and works about 80% of the time but needs a little work on the timing. Did you find anyone to work on yours yet?

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
I was searching for a spring kit for my 1877 Thunderer to save it from wearing out the original springs and came up with this. Good quick read if you want to know a little more about the workings of these guns.

Someone on Coltforum said only fire them double action and they will last just fine. I don't see why Wes Hardin and Billy the Kid would use them if they were as bad as people say.

Charles,

Excellent information. Thanks for the link.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.