Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's Jackson's Colt Woodsman holster I just restitched. My friend's F-I-Law was a WW2 dentist and leather hobbyist. They gave me all his stuff which included these great homemade "stitching wheels" (??) and a tool made from a file, and lots of thread. There is also bundles of dental suture thread too small for my use. I do not know what that silver tool is below the studded holster but I attached a needle to it and that's how I restitch holsters without opening up the main seams. Using it with long tweezers I can get deep in the holster. Jackson's holster wasn't that deep, though. I never say I can match the stitching perfectly but only as close as possible.

·
Registered
881 Posts
If that studded holster is for a short N frame Smith I'd pay good money for it.

Good job on the holster too btw

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If that studded holster is for a short N frame Smith I'd pay good money for it.

Good job on the holster too btw
Good eye! I made it for my 3 1/2" Model 27. first with a simple belt loop, then replaced with the vintage Franz-Loc spring belt clip John Witty gave me afterwards. but I felt the gun was out of balance in it. So I'm going to splice a fold over belt loop like usual but hide all the splice with a Brill style half lining. I'd probably sell it to a fellow lefty. Here's a Franz-Loc belt clip (internet picture). I'll use mine for another holster.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,604 Posts
Most people looking at a holster makers bench would probably be surprised at the tools used and would wonder what kind of Mickey Mouse operation you're running.
Very often many of them are home made or re-tasked from other applications.

Good tools are expensive and often you can make or use some other tool to get what you want.
Sometimes actual leather crafting tools just don't do what you want, so we often use something else that does.

As example my favorite molding tools are a stainless steel 3/8's inch ball bearing soldered to the end of a 6 inch length of brass tubing, and one side of a handle on a pair of watchmakers pliers.
I have no idea where I got the ball bearing or brass tube, and the other side handle of the pliers just isn't "right".

To do hand stitching I use an old pair of black leather gloves with the thumb and index fingers cut short and a socket side of a line 24 snap set into the palm.
The gloves prevent the cutting into my fingers as I pull the cord tight, and the snap is used as a sail maker's palm thimble to push the needles through the holes.

Whatever works...... works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts