Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about looking for a 2-1/2 inch Diamondback 38 for a carry gun.  I would probably buy one that is either unfired or has rarely been fired.  I have read that there are wearable parts like the hand that were meant to wear and be replaced at certain intervals and that failure to do so results in damage to other parts.  None of these parts are available from Colt to the best of my knowledge.  In addition, from what I've read, it is very difficult to find qualified gunsmiths that can work on these guns.<BR>  <BR>So my question is---if one bought one of these guns and then needed repair work performed are there any places left that can provide wear parts and do the necessary fitting?<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR> 

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I carry a 2.5" 1967 Dback almost daily and am darn confident in it. I also happen to shoot it weekly, sometimes more than once a week. Frank Glenn in Az seems to be a go to guy for a lot of people on the forums here for their Colt Revolver work. I just sent him two of my Pythons and will let you know how it goes!

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
If you buy a near-new Diamondback and do not shoot a steady diet of overloads, it will take many thousands of rounds before the hand becomes worn. Even then, pulling the trigger will lock up the cylinder for many more rounds, so there really is not an issue even then. Do you really expect to shoot the gun that much?

The hand can be stretched, and you can do that yourself, with help from the Kuhnhausen manual if needed. Or send the gun to Colt if you prefer.

I really doubt that you will shoot the gun enough to affect timing, but, if you do, it can be repaired to good as new by yourself or Colt. Don't worry about it.

(Apologies to anyone offended by my "delivery.")

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gentlemen. Thank you both for your replies. This gives me more confidence to move forward with acquiring a 2-1/2 inch Diamondback for carry. This would be my 5th Colt revolver. The first was a unfired Python in box. Second was a 4 inch Diamondback---gun has been fired but looks perfect with the execption of incorrect grips. I had not intended to shoot either of these very much if at all. The third was a Huntsman in almost perfect condition with box--I'll shoot this one. These three bought in the last 2 months. The final is a 22 New Frontier bought in 1975 for $85. Also have 3 Colt 1911's.
I've been lurking on the site for a while and enjoy it very much.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I also carry and shoot a 2 1/2 inch DB. It is a great carry piece, and shoots even better.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I would not carry a colt DB with any barrel length. they are simply too expensive. there are plenty of other good carry revolvers for far less money. my DB is for range use only because it is a very fine revolver and a joy too shoot. if you are involved in a defensive shooting the police will take your gun for who knows how long. and if you get it back who knows what condition it will be in. and don't carry a gun without proper training.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts