Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,One of the Colts in my collection is a beautiful 1st gen Saa with a single broken grip. Does anyone know if these grips are repairable - and perhaps the best method to do so? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Well...make sure both surfaces are clean, free of any residual oils or fouling or whatever, dry fit on Wax Paper, on a Sheet of Glass or other 'dead flat' surface. Dry fit first to make sure the pieces in fact will fit perfectly, and, if not examine them to correct that, so they will.

The Glue to use would be any of the various Cyanoacrylate Adhesives ( any Hobby Store )...some 'kick' faster than others, so probably elect one which is in the mid range.

Apply very lightly to one side, keeping the Glue to the lower edge ( inside side, so to speak ) and bring the pieces together on the Wax paper, on a dead flat surface under that.

Keep any Glue off of our fingers of course ( especially this kind of Glue! ) .

Hold things steady for a couple minutes, then leave it be for a while.

Do this in a warm room...otherwise it may take longer to 'kick' and cure.

Light application, kept to the lower egde, saves on possibly troublesome squeeze-out in the outside checking areas.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Make sure as Oyeboten says.....don't use too much glue because you don't want it to squeeze out when you put the 2 pieces together and leave a visible glue line on the outside of the grips!

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Don Furr can do it. Last email I have for him is dfurr2 at ca.rr.com

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Here's pix of grip fix, several I've done. For a break like you show, I would clean & rough up the broken surfaces & glue back together with clear epoxy, with grip installed on waxed grip frame. Break is held as closely as possible to close crack. After hardening, you clean the checkering. It helps to wax the checkering beforehand being absolutely sure no wax gets into the break area. An invisible repair is possible.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Hi Don! Still getting after it?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I just had a conversation with Jim Martin a few days ago. He told me that he uses acra-weld from Bownells often when he repairs grips. Just figured I would share that since of the timing with my conversation with Jim.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts