Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last post awhile back detailed how I cracked the forcing cone on my .41 army special. Basically a timing issue, oh well. Right now it is a wall hanger and I have been trying to find a replacement barrel with no luck. I called First's and Numrich and came up Zero. Numrich has an SKU for it but they are out of stock and it seems they don't get too many. I was wondering if anyone on the forum might know of some other suppliers or just by chance have an extra .41 barrel laying around(slim chance I'm sure). Thanks in advance.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Colt supplies a list of distributors that they know of. The only other source they indicate for DA parts besides Gun Parts is Jack First Distributors, 1201 Turbine Drive, Rapid City, SD 57701, 605-343-9544.

Oops, I see you mentioned them. Sorry, I didn't notice at first (pun intended) reading. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I will try colt, never considered that option. I did call Jack First and got a little snicker on the other end of the phone when I told them what I wanted.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
DVG73; I am pretty sure,but NOT totally,that a barrel from the earlier Model 1892 Army/Navy "left wheelers,have the same threads and WILL fit. (Bob Best,who wrote "the book" on these models,if he reads this,will probably know). I have seen smaller frame "transitions" Police Positives,with the old style barrel,marked Colt DA .32,and I have a transitional 1907 Army/Navy model with the old style barrel in 32/20.

The barrels on the older models were 3"(rare) 4.5" and 6" and are marked "Colt DA 41",so they won't be the same as your Army Special,but you can save the old bbl. for future sale to a collector who doesn't want to shoot your Army Special. Front sight is thinner than the Army Special.

IMO,there were more of the older Army/Navy models made in .41 than the Army Special(and and outside "shot" is one marked Official Police .41 Colt! Yes,they made " a few" O.P.s, rollmarked as that caliber, as the .41 Colt wasn't dropped until 1930,and the Army Special to Official Police transformation coming in starting 1926-27. I once "passed" on buying a "matched set of a .41 Colt and .22 O.Polices,with genuine stag grips and 6" bbl.s!!!! My "self excuse" for not coming up with the $$$$,bout 15 years ago,was that I already had a 6" O.P. .22 and didn't reload for the .41!

So,IF they fit,the older barrel MIGHT be a viable way of getting the .41 shooting again!!-or-and this is for another thread-buying a very common A.S. or O.P. .38 Special bbl. hand having a gunsmith bore/rifle it to 10mm/.40 S&W with a .401 bore.

Best of luck in your search;
Bud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts