Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding the replacement of the medallions on Python grips. I've been watching ebay and there are constantly available "new" gold, Python Medallions for not a lot of money. Question is, should I decide to replace the medallions on a set of grips, how difficult is it? Is this something that has to be done by a professional gunsmith or can I tackle it myself? Appreciate the feedback from you guys....I'm a new Colt owner and this forum has been super!!!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Question:

Why would you want to replace the medallions? If they aren't the original grips, nothing you can do will make them original. If you already have nice grips with silver medallions why not let them be. Just trying to figure out your intentions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd like to do the same thing. I have a 4" Bright Stainless Python with the flat gold logo on the hogue rubber grips. I'd like to swap out with shiny silver colored medallions to match the bright stainless of the gun.
Yes, I'd keep the originals, but thought in my case that if the two metals matched, it would look good. Are the medallions riveted or screw and post to the grips?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
Medallion replacement ON COLT GRIPS is fairly easy, especially on newer grips that weren't riveted too well.

The medallion has a hollow shank that's lightly riveted in place on the back side. Sometimes the rivet is done with a "4 cornered" punch, sometimes with a round headed punch.

Before removing the original medallions, note how they are oriented on the left and right sides, so you can put new ones on the same way.

Use a screwdriver and jeweler's needle nose pliers to straighten out the riveted shank as much as possible.

Get a thick piece of rubber or very soft plastic, cut a hole just big enough to pass the medallion, and put this on a bench block.

Position the grip on the rubber covered block with the medallion centered on the hole.

Insert a small punch INTO the medallion shank tube and gently "bump" the medallion out.

The only real "look-outs" are not to split the grip by trying to DRIVE the medallion out, and not to cause damage to the wood and checkering by not using a proper rubber covered block.

The medallion is secured in place by your choice of a dab of quick-cure epoxy under the medallion, or by resting the medallion on a round harder rubber or plastic "Button" just slightly smaller than the medallion head, and re-riveting the shank.

The only thing to keep in mind here is, Colt "usually" used cheaper wood on lower cost guns, and in the 50's and at least mid-60's often used stained HARDWOOD grips on less expensive guns.

In other words, it wouldn't be "correct" to have a pair of gold medallion-ed hardwood grips.

·
Registered
254 Posts
anyway to shine the tarnished gold medallions on my python? I don`t want to use an abrasive cleaner since the gold is so thin, is there a chemical like tarnex that would just remove the tarnish?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
Not really.
The Medallions are plated with something, not sure if it's real gold.

Once the finish deteriorates and wears, nothing will really restore it, since it's GONE.

Best advice is to clean off with a water-based cleaner as well as possible, since any polish will simply remove MORE of the plating.

·
Premium Member
9,480 Posts
I agree with manderson. Why? Changing the medallions will make the gun no longer original. The gold medallions on Colt revolvers are not gold-plated (they would not tarnish if they were). The finish is some kind of gold wash. Cleaning it may remove the thin finish, so I would suggest just living with the original medallions and keep the gun correct.

DFW and I disagree that Colt ever put anything but walnut wood on its wood-stocked revolvers. The catalogs all say walnut is the stock material for every Colt revolver. Every Colt revolver of any era with wood stocks I have has walnut as the stock material.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts