Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1964 Colt SAA that is factory nickeled that I use as a shooter. Last range out I noticed upon cleaning that the plating is starting to flake on one chamber at the front. Since this is my shooter I was thinking about replating the whole revolver in either hard chrome or electroless nickel. I have seen factory SAAs hard chromed that look great but very limited and was wondering who plated them for Colt. Anyone know who did the work? I was guessing perhaps Metalife. If I decide not to replate the entire revolver I may just have the cylinder renickeled, any suggestions on who to have do it?

·
Registered
9,320 Posts
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any factory nickel 2nd generation SAA is special. You would be paying someone to destroy the collector value of the gun when there are lots of refinished Colt's out there to get and refinish. But it is your gun and I don't know who does that work if you have it done. But anyone will be able to tell a mile away it's refinished.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
well it would be better to leave it alone or fix it correctly....otherwise u will never get any real value out of it....

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
On top of that, most renickeled SAA's are ruined beyond repair because of all the polishing, which rounds off all the edges.
I think refinishing will easily trash 90% of its current value.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I realize refinishing dramatically reduces any collectors value just like shooting it but as I said this is my shooter. Perhaps I will leave it as is and I do appreciate your opinions. Last year there was a factory hard chromed SAA up for auction and I loved the way it looked and think that would be a much more durable finish for a shooter. I'm sure the nickel flaking will only get worse with use so I'll really have to ponder what I want to do with it.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I realize refinishing dramatically reduces any collectors value just like shooting it but as I said this is my shooter. Perhaps I will leave it as is and I do appreciate your opinions. Last year there was a factory hard chromed SAA up for auction and I loved the way it looked and think that would be a much more durable finish for a shooter. I'm sure the nickel flaking will only get worse with use so I'll really have to ponder what I want to do with it.
You could also opt to retire this SAA and get a Blue/CCH SAA as a shooter.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'd have it hard chromed. Everything is not about the money, and there's puhlenty of 2nd generation ones nestled in collectors safes "for the future". If hard chromed, it will look as good to you twenty years from now as it did the day you had it done. And somebody in the future won't be afraid to shoot it.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Just shoot the crap out of it. You only go round once! Besides it gives it character.
This is the motto I live by.

Life is too short not to shoot your guns. Especially if you have no plans to sell them or their value isn't that important to you.

I look at a life time of shooting being much more valuable than whatever the sale price your heirs get for it is after you're gone.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Several years back[probably 12-15] I got a Colt New Frontier .22/.22 mag that was "finish challenged". It also suffered from a "butchered" front sight. I obtained a less than collectible barrel and had the front sight relocated to my "shooter" which then required a refinish.
I let Bob Cogan at AP&W talk me into a hard chromed finish.
When I got the gun back, I was upset with myself because I'm a traditionalist, GAD! I hated the "modern look" for about two weeks, Then, after a few trips to the woods with this little gem I was thrilled to death! It's looks grew on me and the ease of cleaning and maintainance was just GREAT!
For a woods gun, shooter, knock about I can't recommend this treatment high enough! Since that time I have set aside a .22 Diamondback and a .22 ACE for the same treatment. Of course, they are finish challenged and were purchased at a price that leaves plenty of room for the re-finish.
I highly recommend AP&W to do any and all work on your shooters. Nick

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I bought a 1905 Bisley in .38-40 caliber for a very good price, but the the nickel plating someone did years ago was flacking off bad on the rear of the frame and the top strap. It was so bad, you could peel it of with your fingernail. Since the revolver had not been buffed, most of it looked good, but I surmised that there had been some oil or whatever that was not cleaned off properly when plated. My first thought was to have the nickel removed and replate the entire revolver. After checking into the cost of this work, I decided to just remove all the flacking nickel and smooth the edges down carefully and blen into the bare metal. It is not the most beautiful job, but lookes pretty good today and a great shooting revolver.

You can still see where the rust under the plating still "stains" the bare metal in a "spiderweb". I felt I made a good decision not having the work done since I would have more in the Bisley that it would be worth. Future generations that may own it can make the decision to replate or not. By the way, I did find a set of Stocks finally to replace the ones that came on the revolver, LOL!

IMG_0925.JPG IMG_0951.JPG IMG_0950.JPG

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
There isn't anything wrong with that finish Abwehr.

Looks like a well used gun with character. I like them like that.

Reactions: Abwehr

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
There isn't anything wrong with that finish Abwehr.

Looks like a well used gun with character. I like them like that.
The Colt has an excellent action and the bore is perfect. I don't know why someone had it plated years ago, but they did. After getting all the flacking nickle off, I decided it looked decent enough without spending more $$$$$ on a re-nickel job.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I have a 1964 Colt SAA that is factory nickeled that I use as a shooter. Last range out I noticed upon cleaning that the plating is starting to flake on one chamber at the front. Since this is my shooter I was thinking about replating the whole revolver in either hard chrome or electroless nickel. I have seen factory SAAs hard chromed that look great but very limited and was wondering who plated them for Colt. Anyone know who did the work? I was guessing perhaps Metalife. If I decide not to replate the entire revolver I may just have the cylinder renickeled, any suggestions on who to have do it?

Do what you want to do, not what others tell you to do.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
The Colt has an excellent action and the bore is perfect.
That's all that matters to some people.

I would rather have a well worn, used looking gun with the smoothest butter action I have ever felt and a nice shiny accurate bore versus a pristine safe queen that has a heavy, gritty action and doesn't shoot straight, or even just a normal factory action gun.

Like cars, it's what's under the hood that counts. Goes for other things too.:rolleyes:

Reactions: poudreverte
1 - 20 of 22 Posts