Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen ...

I recently posted about the Colt New Service I inherited from my Dad. Thanks again to those that helped me ascertain exactly what I had. The gun currently wears Pearl grips - I'd like something a little different. The two companies I see mentioned mostly are NC Ordnance and Vintage Gun Grips. I'm sure there are other offerings out there that you guys may know about. I'd like to keep the price under $60 if possible. I'd also love a Tyler T-Grip, but they are as rare as hens teeth ... and seen less that Bigfoot!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much ...

PsTaN

·
Premium Member
21,041 Posts
I think the NC Ordnance guy sells to several other dealers. He has been making replacement grips for many, many years.

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
If you want something similar to the originals it shipped with, you need to know when it was made.
Prior to about the late 1920's the commercial New Service shipped with black, hard rubber grips with molded in checkering and Colt emblems.
After that the guns shipped with checkered walnut with silver Colt medallions.
Only military models like the Model 1917 shipped with smooth walnut.

If you're not overly concerned with "correct" type grips, the black plastic replicas of the original hard rubber grips are something not often seen these days on guns and lend a very old world look to revolvers.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you want something similar to the originals it shipped with, you need to know when it was made.
Prior to about the late 1920's the commercial New Service shipped with black, hard rubber grips with molded in checkering and Colt emblems.
After that the guns shipped with checkered walnut with silver Colt medallions.
Only military models like the Model 1917 shipped with smooth walnut.

If you're not overly concerned with "correct" type grips, the black plastic replicas of the original hard rubber grips are something not often seen these days on guns and lend a very old world look to revolvers.
Hi PsTaN, it's probably worth making and saving a search on eBay like:

colt "new service" (grips, stocks)

since repro - usually "Buy it now" - or originals of the types dfariswheel mentions come up every week and sometimes at very reasonable prices.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
You can still order new Tyler T grips, I have a newly ordered set for my 1917 and they make a huge difference in the feel of the gun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the insight guys. Porshe .... it's good to know that Tyler is still up and going. I suspect I'll order a T-Grip next week. Gloss Black T-Grip and Black Repo Colt Grips ..... yeah that'll do me.

Thanks much ...

PsTaN

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I haven't looked to see if there any Thai grips on eBay made for the NS. Anyway, some of the Thai grios look very good and the price is right - usually under $40 including shipping. I just ordered two pair this morning for two of my S&Ws after reading some glowing comments on the S&W forum. Occasionally, the original black hard rubber grips with the COLT lozenge on the top show up on eBay at reasonable prices - maybe $30 or so. I have a NS with a pair of those grips, and they really give it that "Period" look.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts