Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 4" blued Colt Diamondback .38 special. Overall, it is in very good, to excellent condition. It has a very, very small amount of bluing wear to the muzzle, and the grips have several small scratchs on the left side.

Can anyone tell me what year my Diamondback was made? It's serial number is D26XX. Also, I'd like to get new grips for my Diamondback, do I need the older "D" frame grips or the newer post '71 "D" frame grips? Finally, can anyone tell me where I can find new old stock factory grips for my Diamondback? If not, any other recommendations for replacement grips would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

nero

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but the serial number only has 4 digits (D26XX).

I forgot that I had the book "Colt An American Legend", according to this book my Diamondback was made in 1967.

I'd still appreciate any info on finding replacement grips for my Diamondback. Thanks.

nero

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,887 Posts
A top source of factory Diamondback grips is Ebay.
They usually have factory grips that sell for reasonable prices.

Gun Parts Corporation occasionally have them, but they seem to be out of stock right now.

You'll need the post-1960's "stubby" frame grips as used on all later Colt "D" frame revolvers.
The Diamondback always used the stubby frame.

If you buy factory Diamondback grips you don't need to worry about it, they only made one type of grip for it.

For other, after-market grips like Hogue, Pachmayr, and others, very few companies even offer the older long frame grips at all.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 06-12-2005).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
nero, contact Bob at Show-Gun, Pembroke Pines, FL. saw him at a gunshow Saturday and he says he has some DB stocks in stock. Tel. 1-954-962-2342
Last time I got some from him, they were $58 plus shipping ($3.85?), don't know what they run now. These are factory stocks. Tell him Dick from Sebring sent you. HTH.
I have low S/N 2 1/2" .38SPL close to yours.

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your replies and helpful info.

Diamondback68, I'll give Bob a call later this week about the DB stocks, and I'll let him know that you recommended him.

I'm going to take my Diamondback out to the range later this morning and put about 200rds of Winchester White Box 130gr FMJ .38 specials through it. I'll let you know how it does.

These are really beautiful revolvers, and they fit my smaller hands perfectly, I can see how collecting DB's can be addictive.

nero

1 - 6 of 6 Posts