Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to purchase a 4" blue python in very nice exterior shape w/re to finish. The grips look aftermarket, no papers or book with the gun. By serial number I know it was manufactured in 1977. I'm no gunsmith, but know enough to be concerned that once in a while while dryfire function testing the cylinder doesn't fully lock up after rotation and hammer drop. It sometimes will rotate counterclockwise when not locked, but does not rotate in the direction of normal operation except when the trigger is pulled. Is this a deal breaker or should I jump on it, and send it for tune up or repair? Should I test fire (I have that option) or not? I don;t want to damage the gun. I can make an offer and it will probably be accepted... any thought on what might be fair?

I appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just be sure your offer is well below the market price. You could end up with a sizeable gunsmithing bill.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,693 Posts
Sounds like it'll need repair.
Test firing it probably won't tell you much you don't already know, unless it's obviously inaccurate or spits lead.

From your description, the gun is failing to lock up fully, and this is THE classic Colt out-of-time condition.

This might require either an adjustment or replacement of the hand.

"Roll-back" is when the cylinder will turn backward.
This might require adjustment of the locking bolt and the rebound, or replacement of the bolt.

As above, these problems indicate a gun that was either used hard or abused, and when you see multiple problems it's usually abuse.
This should lower the price by a fair amount, and even more if the gun has suspected other problems.

If it's cheap enough you can spend between $100 to $175 on repairs, it might be a good deal.
However, when you see a Python with multiple problems, it's buyer beware, because there are often more you don't see.

I think it all comes down to price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts