Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I want to seek your experienced comments on a Colt revolver that has been in my family for generations. I'm really not an expert but I researched a little and the gun looks like a Dragoon but I can't find any similar ones online that can give me a benchmark for more details. Maybe you can comment on it.
The grips seem to be ivory and the body of the gun is engraved. I believe there is a small piece missing just in front of the cylinder but it should be around somewhere here in my house. The serial number is 43465. All the parts have the same serial except one. A metal piece that holds the handle in place from the back has a different serial number. I looked the serial up and couldn't find a match. I was hoping somebody here could shed some light as to why that might be.

I'm sorry about the poor quality of the pictures, but any comments or observations would be really appreciated!

mmexport1406509985179.jpg DSC_0335.jpg mmexport1406510040814.jpg mmexport1406510058564.jpg

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Looks to be either an 1860 Army (.44 caliber) or an 1861 Navy (.36 caliber). If it is the army model, the fluted cylinder is quite rare. The ivory grips, engraving and what appears to be either silver or
nickel plating all add to the rarity and value. I would suggest having it professionally appraised. It is most likely worth many thousands of dollars! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
You have an 1862 Police, .36 caliber. The piece that is missing is called the wedge. It hold the barrel assembly tight to the frame.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What's the caliber? What do the patent markings say? Yep, it definitely looks like you're missing the retaining wedge (often 2-digit marked to match the S/N). Without the wedge in place, you should be able to pull the whole barrel assembly right off the front of the frame. I'd search hard because it's obviously more desirable/valuable to have the original wedge over a replacement.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Definitely look for the wedge, and it looks like a screw is missing on the bottom of the grip frame. Otherwise she sure looks nice!!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
It is an 1862 Pocket Police that was made in 1870 (from the SN). The Pocket Police is a five shot .36 caliber revolver based on the .31 Caliber 1849 Pocket Model. This specimen appears to be in excellent shape even with the missing wedge and possibly missing back strap screw. It looks to be a fine engraved and nickel plated revolver with Ivory grips. It would be well worth getting it lettered by Colt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for your input, I really appreciate it.
It is indeed a five shot .36 caliber. I will be looking for that missing wedge and screw (yes, there is a small screw missing on the back)
fingersmcgee could you explain in a nutshell the process of getting something like this lettered by Colt please? I would be very interested in doing that, but because the revolver is not in the US at the moment I fear it might get complicated.

Also if in the future I decided to sell it, would a missing piece have a big impact on the price it can fetch?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
VXGeorgew - I don't know if Colt still has the records for your revolver. If so, for a fee they will research the gun and issue a Colt Archive Letter. It will tell you the original configuration and finish of the gun, where it was originally shipped and when. The wait is 120-150 days and the cost will be significant, probably $200 or more. Here is the info. I suggest you call Colt at the numbers at the bottom of the attached page and ask if they are able to research your particular model: Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC > Catalog > Archive Services. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts